Found in the wild, Victor M

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Found in the wild, Victor M

Post by dzavracky »

It certainly cleaned up really nicely! That horn also looks really good on it!

Cheers,

David

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

So glad to see this beautiful piece rescued for posterity. A victory for our hobby. And love your restoration philosophy--a Monarch butterfly re-emerging!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Very exciting, and I like your philosophy in leaving it original using just enough love to bring out its beauty without destroying its history.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

fran604g wrote:Very exciting, and I like your philosophy in leaving it original using just enough love to bring out its beauty without destroying its history.

Best,
Fran

Thank you for the comments and encouragement. I know that the machine could look a lot better with fresh paint, plating, finish and decals, but I am trying to preserve what I have. I respect any opinions regarding whether or not I should go for a full restoration or keep it a survivor, (as I said already, I am trying for minimal). The horn still has the remnants of surface rust and plenty of character flaws, (Flitz polish helped to blend the rust a bit). The Brass bell is hand polished using Bar Keepers polish, and Flitz, (and lots of elbow grease). The ID plate says “M” and the serial number is 21385, so I am thinking that this is probably a 1903 machine. The cabinet still needs some more cleaning, oiling and waxing and the motor needs to be serviced.
Attachments
EB262DFB-A2BD-4AC6-8AC0-61D89C1B344D.jpeg
A2049088-C17A-47C3-B566-FFA1EA8E63B3.jpeg
236B0427-5468-4A50-B86B-7ED35A87ED79.jpeg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Nice job cleaning your M. I have to agree that this one isn't a candidate for a total restoration. It looks great with just a good cleaning and polishing.
Enjoy!!!!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Congrats! I'm on your side with keeping her all original. I am also delighted to know that some these are still out there in attics for us to find!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

The horn has no sign of a decal. Does anyone know when Victor began putting them on the horns? I believe that this one is from 1903.

I still have to service the motor and find it a different perch so that I can use my Credenza.
Attachments
FF18C58C-2C92-4BCA-89A0-7F26352B85EF.jpeg

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

It’s looks great. And also, you care and attention is a real tribute to the previous owner. A tip of the hat for that and a job very welll done!