HELP; Silvertone Reproducer Rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

HELP; Silvertone Reproducer Rebuild

Post by apruizii »

This is my first Silvertone reproducer rebuild. I've removed the needle bar but am having a tough time removing the top ring to replace the rubber tubing gaskets. I managed to chip out the old gasket under the ring thinking it was stuck to the old gasket but no luck in turning the ring. I've tried to use penetrating oil around the ring and it still won't budge. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

AR
Attachments
20220228_233457.jpg
20220228_233535.jpg
20220228_233553.jpg

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: HELP; Silvertone Reproducer Rebuild

Post by AZ* »

I have a Silvertone reproducer that is virtually identical. The "ring" is part of the casting; it is not removable. The diaphragm, however, is slightly smaller than the opening on the front of the reproducer. Once the front gasket is removed, the diaphragm should be able to be pushed through the opening. Then remove (chip out) the back gasket. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. :coffee:
Best regards ... AZ*

broso252
Victor O

Post by broso252 »

My Silvertone reproducer is not exactly the same but the construction looks very similar and does use a retaining ring. If yours uses a retaining ring I had a similar issue and saw something somewhere recommend putting hot glue on the end of a cardboard tube such such as an empty paper towel roll and sticking it onto the retaining ring. The ring then unscrewed surprisingly easily and left no marks on the nickel plating once removed.
Now if I was working on someone else's and wanted to be more careful, I would probably try using a stiffer tube like a PVC pipe and put something like a rubber or silicone sheet on the end to grip the ring to reduce the risk of damaging anything.
silvertone rebuild.jpg

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Unfortunately the diaphragm isn't small enough to just pop out thru the ring. I'll try the roll of paper cardboard tube or PVC with a rubber sheet method and hopefully will have success.

Thanks for the tips!

AR

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nor it should! The retaining ring mission it to hold the diaphragm in place... The diaphragm must be larger than the retaining ring, but smaller than the front ring thru which it must pass.
I bet your ring is stuck because of the dried out rubber gaskets below it, that have get it stuck. As you have to replace them anyway, why don't you try to peel off the stuck upper gasket inserting a small screwdriver below the ring, This could free the ring so it should be easier to remove. The thing is that you must be very careful not to spoil the diaphragm...
The diaphragm edge may also be stuck to both gaskets, so anyway to extract it intact is a challenge...
Inigo

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Although my reproducer looks similar, it is obviously not the same as broso252's. Mine is a DEFINITELY a one piece shell, and the diameter of the diaphragm IS SMALLER than the opening. The diaphragm is held in place by the gasket that is wedged between the shell and the diaphragm. Servicing this type of one piece reproducer shell is shown in Reiss's book.

Good luck with your repair. If yours has a ring, it may be hard to budge due to pot metal swelling or corrosion.
Best regards ... AZ*

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Indigo, as I mentioned in my post, I was able to chip out the upper gasket. And the diaphragm is loose inside the cavity and not stuck to the lower gasket.

AR

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Well. Then you have to insist on extracting the ring. You'll have to try any self made tool, like the tube mentioned before... Or scissors to apply the two points on opposite sides of the ring trying to 'unscrew' it...
Inigo

GlensterTX
Victor O

Post by GlensterTX »

I saw something the other day that might help: a “Watch Case Opening Friction Ball Watch Back Opener Tool” as used by watch makers. It basically is the same principle as the cardboard tube, but I have no experience with it and I have no idea if it works:
4BA01FAF-1FEE-49F9-AD5A-97038C0E698E.jpeg
It’s a pretty reasonable $6.49, available from https://www.esslinger.com/watch-case-op ... ener-tool/

Esslinger.com has a number of items that you might find helpful, in all price ranges. Take a moment and look around their pages, perhaps there’s something even better-suited for that ring removal.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

I'll have to figure out what works to get the retaining ring off. For the moment I've left the bottom gasket alone and managed to squeeze the gasget tubing around the inside of the reproducer and under the retaining ring with the rounded end of a wooden popsicle stick. It surprisingly sounds very good with only replacing one of the gaskets!
At least I have a working reproducer again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

AR
Attachments
20220329_140449.jpg