Brunswick Cortez Motor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ho_Hum
Victor O
Personal Text: College is hard :(

Brunswick Cortez Motor

Post by Ho_Hum »

Yesterday I headed to check out a Brunswick Cortez for sale nearby on craigslist. It is in need of some serious tlc and the cabinet was stripped, but what confused me is the motor. It is the brunswick motor with the octagonal speed control, atypical for a Cortez. I also couldn't remove the motor because the crank wouldn't unscrew, it just turned the motor backwards. Was the motor replaced at some point, or was it made this way?
Attachments
cortez.jpg
they/them

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Brunswick Cortez Motor

Post by AZ* »

My Cortez has the "normal" motor with the black steel plate that extends beyond the turntable, under the tonearm, etc. and black speed control dial.

However, the Cortez featured in this video seems similar to the one you recently examined. More googling may reveal other examples. Was there any extra hole in the side of the cabinet? The crank is probably just stuck, possibly due to corrosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoxbPKFVesk
Best regards ... AZ*

Ho_Hum
Victor O
Personal Text: College is hard :(

Post by Ho_Hum »

AZ* wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:35 am My Cortez has the "normal" motor with the black steel plate that extends beyond the turntable, under the tonearm, etc. and black speed control dial.

However, the Cortez featured in this video seems similar to the one you recently examined. More googling may reveal other examples. Was there any extra hole in the side of the cabinet? The crank is probably just stuck, possibly due to corrosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoxbPKFVesk
It's not that the crank is stuck, the ratchet that keeps the crank from spinning the motor backwards must be shot because turning the crank backwards to unscrew it just turns the motor as well. I don't know how you'd unstick a crank like that, especially with the lack of rear access that the Cortez has.
they/them

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If you remove the crank bushing from the cabinet, it will expose the larger hole in the cabinet side, allowing more freedom of movement. If you then remove the 4 wood screws that hold the motor plate in the cabinet, you may be able to tip up the motor plate enough to sneak in a long pair of pliers to hold the winding arbor while a helper unscrews the crank. Should also remove the brake assembly, it'll just be in the way. If that doesn't do it, consider next removing the 4 screws that hold the motor to the motor plate. That should give more than enough access to the motor and winding arbor, BUT, it will also allow the motor to drop. Again, a helper with a vise-grip on the spindle shaft may be of service here while you remove and lift up the motor plate and reach inside to support the motor.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

What makes this extra strange is this is the 3 spring motor. It COULD be Brunswick was just using up stock, possibly either very early in Cortez production or very late just to get stuff out the door. Check the serial number.