Panatrope 15-8 find

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Panatrope 15-8 find

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Final update on the Panatrope 15-8.

This turned out wonderfully. It's a little too much phonograph for a tiny single-room apartment but it is a wonderful machine.
DSC01498.JPG
DSC01498.JPG (139.79 KiB) Viewed 440 times
DSC01497.JPG
DSC01497.JPG (134.96 KiB) Viewed 440 times
DSC01496.JPG
DSC01496.JPG (145.76 KiB) Viewed 440 times

It certainly looks better than this--
DSC01060.JPG
Looks aren't everything but it has plenty of performance to back up its good looks. It sounds lovely with the Wyatt Markus-built reproducer and the big spruce horn--the motor is one of those classic smooth-running Brunswick double-springs. The Panatrope reproducer has lots of compliance with a ball bearing needle-bar (which was why I can't rebuild it) so I can play anything from 1900 to 1945 on this without any problems.

It will never be "perfect," but it's here & it's always ready to crank up & play a record.

So for me it is "just right."

Great thanks to Jerry Van who helped me out a great deal with a brass bodied Panatrope reproducer which ended up becoming the core of the present reproducer installed, Wyatt Markus who helped rebuild said reproducer by adding the original diaphragm & a new needle bar, David Zavracky who is very into Panatropes, Martin (Mormon S) whose wonderful builds are always an inspiration to fix stuff up, and the whole Talking Machine Forum. This is the first walnut phonograph in my collection and fills the niche for a high-quality late 1920s acoustic floor model.

Happy collecting!

Charles

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Thank you Charles, I was glad I was able to assist you in your restoration. The top came out looking really good .. bravo. I’m sure you now have the baby a machine you’ll be really happy with. Have fun with it :P

David

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Very nice Charles! I am happy to have contributed my small bit. Panatropes are wonderful things. :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

JerryVan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 pm Very nice Charles! I am happy to have contributed my small bit. Panatropes are wonderful things. :)
There was nothing small at all about what you did--That brass reproducer you sent down is going to keep this phonograph running for a very, very long time. I would not have been able to properly repair this phonograph without it. Thank you very much--If you need anything record-wise or something, let me know.

The fun thing is that my antique phonograph collection is, for a cash-strapped college student, a pretty comprehensive overview of the beginning of home music, all the way from the Edison phonograph to the cathedral radio. This restoration took all the way from January 10 to May 12th, doodling around with it in spare moments. Now to finish my B-model Edison Home and get that playing, then get the RE-45 a new reproducer--that's right; I've been messing with a Victor RE-45 since January 20th.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Panatropes are nice! I have a Hampton.