Panatrope 15-8 find

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Panatrope 15-8 find

Post by JerryVan »

For what it's worth, there's a legless 15-8 that showed up on eBay last night. Starting bid was $0.99 and located in Greensboro, NC. Parts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brunswick-Pana ... %7Ciid%3A1

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Noted!

I'll have to look into that; hopefully they reply to my question about spare parts.

Anyway we shall see what happens. I bet with a new reproducer it would play just fine, or if I drop off the old one with Mr Markus (along with the Combination K for the Fireside, that I have given up trying to work on because I think someone messed with it before I did.)

Wonder how many 15-8's were actually made? I've never seen one that opened like this; it reminds me more of an electric phonograph.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Noted!

I'll have to look into that; hopefully they reply to my question about spare parts.

Anyway we shall see what happens. I bet with a new reproducer it would play just fine, or if I drop off the old one with Mr Markus (along with the Combination K for the Fireside, that I have given up trying to work on because I think someone messed with it before I did.)

Wonder how many 15-8's were actually made? I've never seen one that opened like this; it reminds me more of an electric phonograph.

Charles,

The more I look at that eBay auction, the more suspicious I am of it. Brand new seller, no feedback, $8 shipping shown for a large phonograph. Be careful, I'd hate to have given you a bum steer :cow: !

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

They're coming out of the sheds, it seems. Here's another one, legless as well and not as cheap but the seller has a better feedback score. https://www.ebay.com/i/303774682428?_tr ... noapp=true
Attachments
Brunnie15-8.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

@Jerry B.-- Yes, we'll have to see on that one! I don't know what is going on there but they could be legitimate. Or not.

@Kirkwood-- That one appears to have been "modernized" to look more 1950s-1960s. A very strange conversion.

I am going to see what happens; still working on an Edison Home and a ton of other responsibilities and projects but when chance permits I am going to tear into the Panatrope. Hopefully that is fairly soon.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:@Jerry B.-- Yes, we'll have to see on that one! I don't know what is going on there but they could be legitimate. Or not.
I'm @Jerry Van. :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

@JerryVan And indeed you are. How foolish of me. And I must get in touch about spare parts in case you have some old Panatrope reproducer bits as I am starting to think the back plate on this one is cupped a little. Not sure yet what to do there.

Well, I started trying to remove the finish on top of the lid--or what was left of it. Between college, work, fixing the Edison Home, and building a bookshelf I didn't get very far. It's going to probably be a weekend project and I can just drag it out into the middle of the room and throw a dropcloth or some cardboard down and go at it.

I confess I've been playing records on it. The motor seems to lack power and probably the springs went a little weak--it needs winding all the way up to play a 12" acoustic, and that's just not the way it should be. The governor also has started rattling so it may have a screw loose or a fatigued spring. Brunswicks & Columbias seem to get weak mainsprings easily--Victor springs just break--and Edisons have lovely springs but they don't go back into the motor easily if you take them out.
But for 93 years old I can forgive it a little mechanical trouble especially as it will be simple enough to fix--the cabinet restoration and tuning the reproducer are the first priority.

The original finish appears to have been dyed lacquer--it does not look like there was a stain applied to the wood. This is more like a vintage radio cabinet than the typical stained and shellacked finish from the pre-1920 machines I usually work on. I'll be using Deft brand lacquers, an open window, and an electric fan--don't want to inhale the fumes or blow up my apartment.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Quick update on getting the Panatrope ready to work right.

I called Mr. Wyatt Markus today & asked him what he could tell me about those--which was a lot. He's Mr. Markus. He explained how the reproducer works--subtly different than a Viva-tonal or Orthophonic--and that they're quite long-lasting and don't often need servicing.

The bad parts: I'm going to need to get another reproducer.

The good? Mine sounded bad because one of the needle bar stops was pressing on the bar itself, limiting movement. Following his direction I took needle-nosed pliers & moved it out just a little bit. The phonograph sounds positively heavenly at this point and isn't wearing records.

I'm not pronouncing it finished at this point because I must get another Panatrope reproducer that isn't swollen (and sand, fill, stain/tone, and lacquer the top, and change the oil in the motor and probably re-power it with new springs as the old ones seem a bit weak.) But it was great hearing some beautiful music coming out of this machine--Lots of work left but it will be worth it!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice! It's a great relief and joy when you discover that a silly thing was impeding something, and a little tweaking m makes the miracle happen, isn't it? Glad you discovered it! :)
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I somehow missed this thread, congratulations on this great find. I love machines like this :clover: