Starr tabletop project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Starr tabletop project

Post by dzavracky »

You can see on the outside of the lid where the previous person messed up the refinish.... He didn't touch the inside of the lid. So with some careful work I can fix the finish there, and possible put one or two lights coats of shellac over the inside to give it the "shine" that the rest of the cabinet will have. After the shellac hardens, I will dull the finish a little to make it look a little older.

David

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

Be careful because some Starr phono spring barrels are made of pot metal. I know a man who was severely injured when a barrel exploded under spring pressure.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Chilesave wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:28 am Be careful because some Starr phono spring barrels are made of pot metal. I know a man who was severely injured when a barrel exploded under spring pressure.

Oh gosh I hope he recovered! I already worked on the motor... but I had trouble with the springs since both of them were broken! I was able to repair them and get them backing into the barrels without much issue. I have a bit more work to do on the motor though.. the chief issue being that the govenor bearings need to be replaced and I need new govenor springs. But I will update the thread on this when I get to it. Thanks for the warning.

David