Cameraphone - Antique Store Find

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
randymullx
Victor O

Cameraphone - Antique Store Find

Post by randymullx »

I found this cute little cameraphone at an antique store this afternoon. I'm sure I probably paid too much ($120) but I had never seen one face-to-face. The reproducer, arm and "horn" are all in good shape but the motor is in trouble. I know there are governor spring issues as one of the governor weights was rattling around in the bottom of the case. I have not attempted to remove the motor just yet but I'm hoping I can get it running. The crank looks strange but it also doesn't appear to be homemade....not sure what the story is there.

Are there model numbers associated with these little gems? Would anyone know the approximate age? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_4193.jpg
IMG_4195.jpg
IMG_4194.jpg

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Cameraphone - Antique Store Find

Post by kirtley2012 »

I think you got a very good deal! nicely found

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Nice find. I'd suggest Ron Sitkp for replacement governor springs. Your best bet is to send him one of the undamaged ones and replace all of them. Your crank looks practical but is a replacement. Is the winding shaft slotted or threaded? Maybe one of us could suggest or provide a better crank. Bottom line... Congratulations!

Remember the old Legs Pantyhose? They came in a egg shaped container. Probably thirty years ago I made a horn like yours from one half of the egg. I looked and looked for an original horn. So I'd rather be in your situation looking for a crank instead of that darn horn.

Jerry B.

randymullx
Victor O

Post by randymullx »

Thanks guys. The winding shaft is slotted. I have one small slotted crank that is ⅜" OD but it is too large to fit this machine. The outside will need to be about 5/16" or maybe a little less. I've looked around on-line but so far nothing close. I think I'll concentrate on getting it running for now.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

You got a very good deal on the Cameraphone--those horns are tough to find.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Cameraphone was one of several makes of miniature gramophone, often cased to resemble cameras, which were popular from the mid 1920's. Others include Crystalphone, Excelda, Mikiphone and Peter Pan.
At a time when few people in the UK owned cars, these machines could easily be transported for days out on a bike, a bus or a train. There were also several makes of small diameter records on the market featuring the latest hits, which kept the overall weight down.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Great find... I love the fact you found it at a "local antique shop." Gives me hope that there neat things out there still waiting to be discovered the old fashioned way... by wandering into an antique shop. Love it, :)

Congratulations!