Victor iii, A series, a few questions...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Victor iii, A series, a few questions...

Post by gramophone-georg »

Well... at least felt is easy to change! :lol: That machine of VanEps' was a pampered original example, though, so I would tend to go with that as the most definitive possible.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:

Yes, I'm glad I was not alive in the 1970s for a number of reasons, but stereo wars would have to be one of them. Sounds like you had certainly won the arms race though. (I have a six-volt car horn and a twelve-volt battery. Does that count?)
Well, the main reason to be glad is youth. The 60s and 70s were really fun times and I am glad I lived through them, but I do admit that I miss the days when my hair wasn't all primer, my back didn't hurt, drugs were an experience rather than a necessity, and the only "song rotation" was that of the turntable. :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

"My" seller on wool felt has these green colors for sale, and at home I have "Holly" and "Bottle Green". "Peppermint" is possibly closer to VanEpsFans Victor iii turntable felt, but the this color is out of stock at the sellers shop. Possibly also the Peppermint color is too light? It is of course always a challenge to find the exact color...
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Peppermint green seems far too light. I realize now that I put the picture up of mine sitting in bright bluish sunlight and did not adjust the white balance on the camera. The felt on mine is closer to a bottle green rather like the backdrop for the Talking Machine Forum itself.

Hopefully here are some nicer photos. In the picture with the two phonographs a middle green would be the forest green felt sold for replacements on Victrola uprights.

And as for the pampered life this Victor III led it literally spent about a hundred years in a box stewing in its own juices. I leave to your imagination the absolute smell of that box. If there was ever a temple of gramophones that would be the incense.
Attachments
Comparison between the Kelly green original felt on my 1917 VV-IV and the deep green on the Victor III. They do contrast next to one another.
Comparison between the Kelly green original felt on my 1917 VV-IV and the deep green on the Victor III. They do contrast next to one another.
A better picture of the felt's true color. Taken in indirect sunlight.
A better picture of the felt's true color. Taken in indirect sunlight.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gramophone-georg wrote:
Well, the main reason to be glad is youth. The 60s and 70s were really fun times and I am glad I lived through them, but I do admit that I miss the days when my hair wasn't all primer, my back didn't hurt, drugs were an experience rather than a necessity, and the only "song rotation" was that of the turntable. :)
Honestly that would be kind of neat. I guess in a way it would be more relaxed. Sometimes I look at the variety of ideas in my own generation and wonder what legacy we will leave other than discarded plastic. Thanks for sharing some of the stories and preserving some of what was left.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

VanEpsVan, thank you for uploading new photos of your beautiful Victor iii. It was of big help when choosing a wool felt for my machine.
I have now changed the felt on my machine, and also cleaned and waxed the cabinet, so now they are a perfect couple :)
Attachments
Victor iii.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Really nice! :)

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Beautiful machine and congratulations on your fine acquisition!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Another thank you to Oliver, JerryVan, and everyone else who contributed, sent greetings or in general took part in the thread :)