Thoughts on aquacoat grain filler?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Thoughts on aquacoat grain filler?

Post by Mormon S »

Has anyone here tried Aquacoat clear grain filler? From what I have seen it seems to be fairly simple to use and really successful in home projects and even guitar finishes.

Martin

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Re: Thoughts on aquacoat grain filler?

Post by Jonsheff »

I have been using Mohawk grain fillers with great success, have not tried Aquacoat? Sounds water based?

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

I have used it on a couple of projects. After the first finish coat I see how lame my grain filling is and start "cheating" with Aqua Coat. I apply it very thinly with the edge of a credit card so it will dry quickly. It shrinks a bit so I do about three applications, lightly sanding each time.
Last I used it was five years ago when I wanted a piano finish on a mahogany Edison C-250. It was a real time saver!
-bill

hameleer
Victor Jr

Post by hameleer »

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

I'm deciding to give aqua coat a try. I have some extra wood pieces I can test on before refinishing my HMV 163. For one, I'll simply use stain, deft spray lacquer, and sandwich aquacoat between a few layers. For the second, I will do the same process but with a pass or 2 of black water based grain filler beforehand, and on the third I will use a different stain and use plaster of paris for the grain filler instead. I will definitely report back with which one works the best

Martin