Board Upgrade

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Board Upgrade

Post by MordEth »

Thanks to my hosting provider upgrading the server software (PHP) from the version the old version of this software liked (5.6) to a newer version that generated errors and prevented posting (7.3), I had to render the board read-only today until I was able to make sure everything was backed up and upgrade us to the latest version of phpBB. They removed my ability to revert it (as I had to once before) to the earlier version. So this was a largely unplanned and rushed upgrade.

It is finally done, although there are still a number of tweaks and fixes to do.
  1. The old default theme does not work with this version of phpBB and will need to be reworked. I will get this done as soon as possible.
  2. The phpBB logo needs to be replaced with the board logo. Again, I’ll do this ASAP. (DONE @ 3:49 AM EST, 26 Jan.)
  3. Adding the donations button again. (DONE @ 4:26 AM EST, 26 Jan.) Last time around, the theme took quite a bit of my time. I haven’t poked around to see how much time it will take me to retheme the board, but anyone wanting to donate to cover my time and effort would be gladly appreciated. COVID is hurting my income and payment on my largest project is tied up in an estate settlement. However, this board will continue to be free to all and no-one owes me anything. It will remain this way. if you have any questions, please contact me.
  4. Other things I may not have considered yet.
If there are any features you would like to see, please let me know—I will look into them.
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Board Upgrade

Post by chunnybh »

Looks great.
Thank you so much for all your time and effort. It is much appreciated.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Thanks for the update!

As phpbb developers never really took care about styles portability (actually: they couldn't care less), I have quite the same problem on my forum which is now much outdated; but I will stubbornly keep it "as is" until I'll hit against the final wall.

Knowing how boring, annoying and time consuming rewriting a style is, I immediately made a small donation.

I particularly liked the style here at TTMF as the colour scheme was nice and elegant, and most of all because it also featured an elegant font with serifs, which is very uncommon these days. Hopinlgy you'll be able to bring back the style as well in a near future!

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Thank you, David, for all that you have done for the Forum. Your efforts are sincerely appreciated!

Doug

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you very much for all your efforts David which are greatly appreciated.

I would just like to mention that if it is possible to revert to the old green background presentation style I, for one, should be thrilled. It was always a complete joy---and an important part of our quality of life---to log-on to such a clear, well organised and beautiful site especially with the ability to accentuate text with different colours easily etc etc. It was always so much better than most other websites and it would be an enormous pity to lose this aspect. I hope it is not too difficult to revert to ?

All best wishes,

Graham

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thanks for your hard work,,, Yesterday I had a panic attack because I thought we lost the Forum... Not a fan of the blue but you know what they say about teaching old dog's new tricks.. LOL
blizz

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

David,

Thank you for all the effort you have put into the forum.

I also liked the green theme better, but I could get used to the blue theme.

Cheers,

David

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

emgcr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:25 am Thank you very much for all your efforts David which are greatly appreciated.

I would just like to mention that if it is possible to revert to the old green background presentation style I, for one, should be thrilled. It was always a complete joy---and an important part of our quality of life---to log-on to such a clear, well organised and beautiful site especially with the ability to accentuate text with different colours easily etc etc. It was always so much better than most other websites and it would be an enormous pity to lose this aspect. I hope it is not too difficult to revert to ?

All best wishes,

Graham
I second Graham's thanks and his request to revert to the old style background and font. The smaller print is harder for my old eyes to read.

Roger.

Rick E
Victor Jr

Post by Rick E »

Love the new color and format. So much easier to look at and to read.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

I just had to upgrade one of my sites too - I recommend the we_universal theme as being something closer in tonality etc to the old TMF theme and a bit cleaner and clearer than prosilver. It's a fully featured responsive theme - take a look I think it might save you some work