Board Upgrade

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Board Upgrade

Post by MordEth »

PeterF wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:58 pm Is there a way to adjust the overall display size back down to where it was? It’s now huge on my phone and thus requires tons of scrolling to see what’s available to read. Used to have almost the entire page of items on a single screen; now it’s like 3 or 4.
Peter,

I switched you back the phpBB-provided prosilver theme. Let me know if that’s better.
Also, are you looking at the board via iOS or Android?

Regards,

David
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

PeterF wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:58 pm Is there a way to adjust the overall display size back down to where it was? It’s now huge on my phone and thus requires tons of scrolling to see what’s available to read. Used to have almost the entire page of items on a single screen; now it’s like 3 or 4.

Thanks.
I hate your avatar. :P
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I’m using an iPhone.

Pictures are the best way to show what I mean. First one is a page from this forum, in its new format. Five topics are viewable. Second one is a page from a similar (radio) forum, which is using something like what we used to have. As you can see, over 25 topics are available to choose.

Many websites have mobile versions, which detect that the device by which the site is being viewed is a phone, and presents the page in a simplified and larger format. But such sites often offer the full “desktop” or “classic” page by clicking a link or selecting an option. Perhaps that’s what’s happening here. I’m too lazy to go fire up a mac to check.

I was able to find and flick the switch from silver/blue to white (or whatever it is) but it didn’t help the sizing.

I like some of the new functionality and recognize that the new version is safer and faster and more robust, but I wish I could read it easier. Never got into the habit of using the APS forum for the same reason.

Is it a mobile vs desktop format issue? If it is, can we please get a switch to use to choose?

Thanks for your help.

Peter
Attachments
F5A6043F-A95D-4AA9-87E8-0002CDFF0976.png
1D515317-351A-40EA-8851-20E29476F639.png

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

I'm glad everyone is happy, but I am confused as heck. There is no way to edit my post. THe old edit button is gone and I have looked and looked and can't find a way to update or mark my post "FOUND". IS there something I am not seeing???

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

john9ten wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:26 pm I'm glad everyone is happy, but I am confused as heck. There is no way to edit my post. THe old edit button is gone and I have looked and looked and can't find a way to update or mark my post "FOUND". IS there something I am not seeing???
Forgive me for jumping in here, but I just needed to edit a posting and discovered a way for the text--didn't try the title. If you look in the upper right corner of your posting, you'll see a group of little buttons, one of which has a picture of a pencil. That's the "edit" button. Another, which I also took a while to discover, has a quotation mark, and that's how you quote a prior posting. I'll confess, I'm old school enough to prefer words to pictures, but on reflection I've seen the same pencil thing elsewhere, so I suppose it's pretty much standard these days, and once you know, it works just like the old "edit" button.

[edit--done just as I described above] I just had a look, and the subject is also available for editing when you choose the pencil button.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

drh wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:16 am
john9ten wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:26 pm I'm glad everyone is happy, but I am confused as heck. There is no way to edit my post. THe old edit button is gone and I have looked and looked and can't find a way to update or mark my post "FOUND". IS there something I am not seeing???
Forgive me for jumping in here, but I just needed to edit a posting and discovered a way for the text--didn't try the title. If you look in the upper right corner of your posting, you'll see a group of little buttons, one of which has a picture of a pencil. That's the "edit" button. Another, which I also took a while to discover, has a quotation mark, and that's how you quote a prior posting. I'll confess, I'm old school enough to prefer words to pictures, but on reflection I've seen the same pencil thing elsewhere, so I suppose it's pretty much standard these days, and once you know, it works just like the old "edit" button.

[edit--done just as I described above] I just had a look, and the subject is also available for editing when you choose the pencil button.
It does seem though that the amount of time you have to edit a post has been significantly reduced. It used to be 30 day, now it's maybe 1 day. I'd prefer the 30 day setting as it allows for making corrections, updating sales posts, etc.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

PeterF wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:44 am I’m using an iPhone.

Pictures are the best way to show what I mean. First one is a page from this forum, in its new format. Five topics are viewable. Second one is a page from a similar (radio) forum, which is using something like what we used to have. As you can see, over 25 topics are available to choose.

Many websites have mobile versions, which detect that the device by which the site is being viewed is a phone, and presents the page in a simplified and larger format. But such sites often offer the full “desktop” or “classic” page by clicking a link or selecting an option. Perhaps that’s what’s happening here. I’m too lazy to go fire up a mac to check.

I was able to find and flick the switch from silver/blue to white (or whatever it is) but it didn’t help the sizing.

I like some of the new functionality and recognize that the new version is safer and faster and more robust, but I wish I could read it easier. Never got into the habit of using the APS forum for the same reason.

Is it a mobile vs desktop format issue? If it is, can we please get a switch to use to choose?
Peter,

Basically, I’m going to have to remove the “responsive” feature from one the styles for you. Most websites do not want to appear on a phone as their desktop counterpart. Would you rather I do that to prosilver or we_universal?

And yes, that’s exactly what’s going on here, although the themes were not written as desktop vs. mobile—they were designed to be “responsive” depending on the screen size. You can see this if you view the page on a desktop or laptop and shrink the browser window.

I wish what you describe was as easy to fix as your message makes it sound. It will have to be a different version of one of the themes with a fair amount of the style information hacked out so it doesn’t change how it behaves at smaller screen sizes. Let me know which theme you’d prefer that I modify.
Hopefully you found the Edit button that drh pointed out.

If that explanation wasn’t clear, the button is here, outlined in red:
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 23.22.33.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 23.22.33.png (9.59 KiB) Viewed 47300 times
You should see these controls on the top right of your post.
drh wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:16 am Forgive me for jumping in here, but I just needed to edit a posting and discovered a way for the text--didn't try the title. If you look in the upper right corner of your posting, you'll see a group of little buttons, one of which has a picture of a pencil. That's the "edit" button. Another, which I also took a while to discover, has a quotation mark, and that's how you quote a prior posting. I'll confess, I'm old school enough to prefer words to pictures, but on reflection I've seen the same pencil thing elsewhere, so I suppose it's pretty much standard these days, and once you know, it works just like the old "edit" button.

drh—That pencil icon is a pretty standard Edit button on a lot of icon sets, yeah. Another thing—on a desktop or laptop, if you hover the mouse over any of these controls, it will give you a description of what the button does.

If enough people want it, we could always have a theme with text in place of those buttons, but I have a lot of other things to prioritize first.
52089 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:40 am It does seem though that the amount of time you have to edit a post has been significantly reduced. It used to be 30 day, now it's maybe 1 day. I'd prefer the 30 day setting as it allows for making corrections, updating sales posts, etc.
Not sure what happened there, but I changed the setting so it’s at 31 days now.

Regards,

David
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Looks good David! Thanks for bringing the icons back, missed those. Seems more secure on here too! :)

Paul

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

Looks great.Thanks for the update

pianolist
Victor I

Post by pianolist »

Getting use to the new layout but for one annoyance; about half of the time I tap to open a post and instead I get the user profile. Any way to separate those two selections a little?