Favorite Record Type

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories

What is you favorite type of record: cylinder records or disc records and which brand?

Columbia (or Indestructible) cylinder record
3%
Edison cylinder record
19%
U.S. Everlasting cylinder record
No votes
Pathé cylinder record
No votes
Other cylinder record
2%
Victor disc record
39%
Edison disc record
17%
Pathé disc record
3%
Berliner disc record
5%
Other disc record
13%

Total votes: 64

frenchmarky
Victor I

Re: Favorite Record Type

Post by frenchmarky »

>>Speaking of the brown label Harmony of the late 20's, indeed they were Columbia product, and very good quality. I do believe on a par with regular late 20's Columbia records, save for the fact that many of them were recorded acoustically.<<<

Yup the dozen or so I stumbled upon are sort of a brown-purple label I think, and don't seem to have been played much.
Course I only play records on my acoustic Victors... if I played them on a modern setup I'm sure I wouldn't be quite as impressed with the relative lack of background hiss : )

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Favorite Record Type

Post by Wolfe »

Yup the dozen or so I stumbled upon are sort of a brown-purple label I think, and don't seem to have been played much.
Course I only play records on my acoustic Victors... if I played them on a modern setup I'm sure I wouldn't be quite as impressed with the relative lack of background hiss : )
You might be surprised, a clean Harmony of that era played on a modern setup can play very nicely, with a relatively silent background and often a nice loud recording level that they were made with. They'll stay quiet playing that way too. On an acoustic machine with a steel needle, they'll start getting noisier with use. :P