Featured Phonograph № 66

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
downsouth
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 66

Post by downsouth »

I don't just collect several of the same machine, my collection is a very diverse. Edison, Columbia, Victor, Brunswick, Sonora, and several "off brand" types. I have several "L" door machines because each of them is slightly different from each other in the aspect of production modifications and such. Most are mahogany except for one which is Flemish oak. Over the years, I have grown to admire many different machines and I find it hard to pass up a good machine at a great price. Now my Wife wants me to start selling a few.

Wes

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Seque alert!!!!

Hey Wes, did you ever cast the flowery crank hole cover for your XVIII that I made an impression for you a few years ago?
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

downsouth wrote:I have several "L" door XVI's and a couple VTLA's, but one machine is a transitional machine that was made just around the time they were ceasing production of the VTLA and it is a standard styled "L" door with the Victor Victrola decal in the lid also and it is totally original. It also has the round crank escutcheon and not the common type attached with two screws. Nice machine you have anyway you look at it and the great part is that it is now complete and functioning again!

Wes

Thanks Wes, I was actually fortunate the motor works well and lacks any significant "thumping". This means that overhauling it can wait a bit while I complete a myriad of other projects. The
nearly complete hardware and accessories made the purchase very straightforward.

It sounds like this lid phenomenon is possible, thanks for sharing that information.

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

I have seen two other early "L" door machines that have the Victor Victrola decal also, so I am pretty sure they weren't all switched. I also believe like George P. said, that parts were probably used on and overlapped on different models. It makes sense to use up what is on hand from the factory before manufacturing more.

Brad, unfortunately I have not made the "shell" casting for my XVIII yet, but I know exactly where the mold is and I just knew that when I found that you also had one, I needed to get the casting then because sometimes if you wait until later, that machine might have been traded or sold. Thanks again for helping me out.

Wes

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'm with Wes... It's tough to turn down a nice big unusual Victrola at a good price. I don't actively collect duplicates but it's sure OK if they rest in my basement for a while until they find a new home. Open sided "spider leg" Victrola X's are a good example. Many years ago I found a very nice oak example and it's "in" my collection. Since then I've found several mice mahogany examples that I've enjoyed owning but have eventually gone to new homes. I've been temporarily out of a mahogany spider leg X but I'm picking one up in Spokane, WA when I go see my NUMBER 3!!!!!!! Oregon Ducks play in Pullman, WA.

Happy Collecting & Go Ducks!
Jerry Blais

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

The make/model is not too important as long as its a good deal. I do have
a preference for the machines I keep in my permanent collection however.
I stick to Victors and Edisons although I do have a Cecilian portable that
I am quite fond of and have no plans of relinquishing soon. :)