Circassian Walnut VV-230 from Facebook Marketplace

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Circassian Walnut VV-230 from Facebook Marketplace

Post by Django »

I brought this machine home yesterday. It was listed on Facebook Marketplace for $325.00, and it was in a dealer’s booth at an antique mall. I was lucky enough to be the first to respond and I told him that if it was available, I would buy it. The crank was not with it and he thought that it was in a box and he said that he would find it. The left record storage door was locked and the lock wouldn’t budge, but of course, that was not a huge concern. I put some penetrating oil into the lock and let it sit overnight, but it did nothing, so I removed the other lock to see how it functioned, then I searched my tools for a curved, surface gage scribe, (last picture). I tried it on the good lock and I was able to pick the lock, so I tried to on the frozen lock. After about 15 minutes of picking the door was open, and there were the like new 12” albums and the crank. I was happy, but when I pulled the albums out, I found a box behind them. The box contained an original 230 owner’s manual, an original 1922 Victor catalog, and other Victor literature. I told the seller about the machine, but he responded that he was happy to be rid of it. He had picked it up at an estate sale in Newton Massachusetts about a year ago. I haven’t cleaned it up yet of moved it to my music room, but here it is, as found. Facebook Marketplace also lead me to my Oak 130, Oak “C” and Oak “D” L-Door Victrolas, my Victor Monarch and my Mahogany VV-XVIII, (and a few others). My best finds have been from the Marketplace.
Attachments
727D4AA0-2743-48C1-90FC-50ED3330614C.jpeg
811E019A-477F-48B3-ACF6-E676F0CDDCB2.jpeg
52BDD20B-FB33-421D-99B8-71FD4D394DF1.jpeg
ED4FEF59-C219-4D5B-983B-B6154A8F5B66.jpeg
D7CE9531-803B-4F26-BFA2-6E3C55B1C3CE.jpeg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Circassian Walnut VV-230 from Facebook Marketplace

Post by fran604g »

I'm very happy for you, such a stunning Victrola! Congratulations.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

What a great find! You're very, very lucky - that you beat me to it! Congrats!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Beautiful machine. Congratulations

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Wow! It's like a time machine! All those items together since new! I wonder if the dealer could tell you more history-- where the house was, family name (if he knows it) etc.. Rare machine and a rare find in that condition with all the extras! Absolutely beautiful!!

Brad Abell

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Congratulations!

The VV-230 is a lovely machine in any wood species, but the Circassian is especially nice.

These Circassian 230s are a mystery to me. A few have turned up, but where did Victor obtain that Circassian? Conventional wisdom is that the Russian Revolution disrupted the supply of Circassian Walnut, and that Victor shifted to American Walnut as a more expedient special finish. The VV-230 wasn't introduced until August 1922; well after the Bolsheviks took over. Was there a short-lived trade in Circassian in the early 1920s? Was a small cache of this wood discovered at this time? I'd be interested in knowing.

We showed a Circassian VV-230 (serial number 1000) in A World of Antique Phonographs on pages 184-185. Since then I've seen at least two more.

Again, congratulations!

George P.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wow, what a beautiful machine and a time capsule as well. Lucky that nobody forced that door open like on a VV-330 I worked on last year. Both doors were broken in on the hinge side with obvious damage to the doors. I was able to fix it and make it nearly invisible, but still a shame. Congratulations!

Andreas

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Thank you for all of the nice comments. I generally check the Facebook Marketplace at least twice a day. I hadn’t noticed that the box of goodies was the box from Victor. I think that I got everything but the bill of sale.

It is interesting that the external cabinet hardware appears to be antiqued Gold plate and the crank appears to be gun blued.
Attachments
4BEDBA3C-8FEE-4B17-BD1A-BEA0FEFC3824.jpeg

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Congratulations — what a wonderful find and addition to your collection!

You’re fortunate to get a full set of the “proper” and original record albums with this Victrola! I’ve seen albums similar to this style in either green or black colored covering material with some Period Model victrolas, and George Paul mentioned to me he had what he remembered to be a blue set of albums with a VV-230 he once owned. What color is the covering material on your albums, and what color is the pressed/stamped embossing on this set???

Thanks, and congrats once again,
Bob
Last edited by Pathe Logical on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Pathé Logical wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:12 pm Congratulations — what a wonderful find and addition to your collection!

You’re fortunate to get a full set of the “proper” and original record albums with this Victrola! I’ve seen albums of this style in either green or black colored covering material with some Period Model victrolas, and George Paul mentioned to me he had what he remembered to be a blue set of albums with a VV-230 he once owned. What color is the covering material on your albums, and what color is the pressed/stamped embossing on this set???

Thanks, and congrats once again,
Bob
The albums are what I would call a nice “forrest” green. I still haven’t cleaned it up, but it is in my music room now. Even my wife loves this one.
Attachments
AD7F667F-316D-4F7A-BEDA-F909C1BDF6CE.jpeg
7EA73B73-2A86-4595-9798-3A270AF3EECC.jpeg
7BFE76B5-37DF-4308-AF80-50DB747466EC.jpeg