Replacing Edison Home main spring & repeater woes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

Replacing Edison Home main spring & repeater woes

Post by KCW »

Well, I’m having a hell of a time with a model D repeater I bought. I’m trying to install in on a model B Edison home but now that I have all the pieces it seems like when I articulate the repeater gear with the main pulley gear that the motor is too drive it. Do I need to replace the main spring? The Home ran ok before I started tinkering. This project has turned into a black hole.

If changing the main spring might do the trick - how do I go about doing it? I’ve never done one before. Where would I get a replacement for a model B home? Any videos online on how to do it? Any other advice

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Replacing Edison Home main spring & repeater woes

Post by Curt A »

Pictures of your problem might shed light on the issue... It's hard to envision what's going on by conjuring images in your head.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Turns out installing a Model D repeater is no walk in the park. I learned a lot though. Finally got it somewhat working today. Below is a clip, albeit with no horn and way too fast - but it is progress!
Attachments
IMG_5996.MOV
(133.85 MiB) Downloaded 50 times

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Latest issue - when a horn is added there is too much weight for the carriage to be picked up and put in the worm thread for return. I image I could use a horn on a crane. What would be an appropriate horn and crane for this and where could I get one? Not looking to shell out enough for a cygnet, but would love one!

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Forgot I’ve got a red fireside horn. Just need a crane for the floor. Any recommendations?