Charleston - a nice copy on ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Charleston - a nice copy on ebay

Post by OrthoSean »

There are certianly circumstances. Record hunting "in the wild" here used to be much better than it is now. I haven't found anything really good locally for "cheap" in a really long time, in fact, I hardly ever go out looking anymore, it's a waste of time.

On the other hand, I have had really good luck in getting entire collections from families liquidating relatives estates just from being well-networked. I've gotten two very large collections recently that way, both with lots of great stuff, but then you're left getting rid of the stuff nobody wants. It's going to take me all winter or longer to sort out the last group I got, but on the bright side, I saved these from going to the dump. :shock:

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Charleston - a nice copy on ebay

Post by Wolfe »

OrthoSean wrote: I hardly ever go out looking anymore, it's a waste of time.
Rafts of 40's big band stuff and popular singers is what I have to frequently (wearily) sift through when looking in the wild these days. And there just seems to be more of it as time goes on, probably owing to the demise of that generation of people. Gad, they bought a lot of records.

I wish I had been into this 30 years ago when folks were dumping nicer stuff. But It's not so bad for me that I've given up going that route. Antique stores and Craigslist are usually a bust, thrift stores and other 'out of the way' places do a little better.