Question about Victor Exhibition reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Question about Victor Exhibition reproducers

Post by eighteenbelow »

My apologies if this has been addressed in earlier threads, but I couldn't find any: When did Victor switch from round-hole Exhibition reproducers to the triangular hole? Which one would a machine shipped in 1909 most likely have had as original equipment?

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Question about Victor Exhibition reproducers

Post by AZ* »

A similar question was asked recently. See:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48391&p=286755&hili ... on#p286755

1909 is the year of the change, but I don't know if the exact month and day or serial number range has been established. The VDB says round hole before 1909, triangular hole after 1909.
Best regards ... AZ*

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Anyone have an idea what percentage of round hole Exhibitions were converted to triangular hole? Guesses welcome!

Jerry B.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Unless you were rebuilding an Exhibition, I doubt that anyone would go to the trouble of replacing the entire needle bar just to get a triangular opening for fiber needles... Later in the century, collectors would realize that the early round hole Exhibitions were desirable for restoring early machines.

That being said, my guess is very few if any were changed out, and if so only to replace broken or damaged needle bars. What do I know?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Who promoted and sold the most fibre needles?

Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I just ran across a copy of Victor's Form 100 "Instructions For the Use of Victor Fibre Needles" dated 1907. It was written to encourage owners of Victor machines to have the "needle arm" changed to take advantage of the new fibre needles. "To induce the use of Victor Fibre Needles, we will change the needle arm and regulate your old sound box for fifty cents." It goes on explaining the financial advantages because a fibre needle can be repointed eight to ten times. The soundbox had to be returned to Victor through a local dealer.

So even if a Victor owner could not afford a new Victrola, they could keep their machine current by being able to use the new fibre needles for only fifty cents or about the cost of one record. I imagine a fair number took advantage of Victor's offer.

Has anyone seen a long throat Exhibition converted to play fibre needles?

I wonder if Victor offered the conversion for owners that used Concert sound boxes.

Jerry B.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Guess I was wrong... it seems everyone wanted an "upgrade", just like now with electronics... I guess it wasn't cool to have a round hole... :? :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife