GOODALE PHONOGRAPH CO. stock certificate

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fmblizz
Victor IV

GOODALE PHONOGRAPH CO. stock certificate

Post by fmblizz »

After reading through my March APS issue I came across an article referencing the Goodale Phonograph Company.. I wanted to share with the forum members a stock certificate signed by the President Franklin C. Goodale that was issued in 1913 for 1000 shares @ $50.00 per share which was a lot of money back in the day.. Adjusted for inflation that $50k stock would cost $1,321,121.21 in todays money....

blizz
goodale.jpg
Last edited by fmblizz on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: GOODALE PHONOGRAPH CO. stock certificate

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The September 2016 issue of The Antique Phonograph has a detailed article about the Goodale phonograph written by Mike Tucker, including photos of the only surviving prototype. It's a fascinating story.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I definitely seem to recall seeing the surviving prototype at a Phonograph Show in New Jersey years ago.. I believe Lynn Bilton, the person that ran the show, was the owner at that time. Also Marty Roenigk had this machine for sale at one point .
tape phono.jpg
tape phono.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Blizz

https://www.intertique.com/GoodaleID.html

kendphono
Victor II

Post by kendphono »

I restored this machine for a customer about 5 years ago. It was the prototype and it followed the patent very closely. It is the only one that was ever made. It was found in a shed in Florida and sold to a number of different people. the last sale was to a collector in Europe. At one point, it was written about in the "Antique Phonograph Monthly". That is the person that I did the restoration for. It was an interesting project. FYI, Lynn Bilton was the owner of this machine for a brief period of time. It aparently passed through a number of hands. The picture shown was taken in my family room when I finished the restoration.

Ken Danckaert
Attachments
P1010015.JPG
P1010011.JPG
P1010001.JPG
Goodale 9.jpg
Last edited by kendphono on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

. Here is a partial listing for the machine but I can't locate any date... It was on Marty's and Elise's Roenigk Mechantiques webpage.

Goodale Console Phonograph playing Celluloid Strips. Unique, complete with copies of patent papers. Floor model, two horns, lots of brass, you will never see another. $12,500.

blizz
Last edited by fmblizz on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

There is only one of these machines extant. The real story behind this machine is that originally Art Sanders from the Musical Museum of Deansboro, NY was contacted by the owner named David Pagitt from the Tampa bay Florida area. I have the original letter. How David Pagitt ended up with it is unknown. He was inquiring as to the history of this machine and what it was worth. As I recall Art saying to me, he in turn contacted Allen Koenigsberg for more information. Allen couldn't give Art any info on it so he asked me during a time when I stopped in to see him. I didn't know anything about this machine either but I had the owners contact info for it so I tried to pursue purchasing it. Lynn Bilton beat me to the punch and he purchased it from the owner. I would say that had to be around 30 years ago. It was when his show was at the Ukranian center can't remember the town in New Jersey. He had it for sale there and Marty Roenigk bought it from him for $14,500. Marty gave me the machine to restore and I had started the restoration but never got the chance to finish it. Marty died and Elise wanted it back so I gave it to Elise's brother Rick in a disassembled state. The machine was in deplorable condition when I got it as it was probably stored for many years in a shed where the weather was able to get at it. The nickel plated brass parts were encrusted with corrosion and the steel parts severely rusted. I managed to clean the corrosion and rust but that was as far as I got.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

BTW Tom McCarthy of Reading Pa had these original stock certificates as he was a collector and dealer of all types of printed materials

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

What a great story. Thanks for that, Paul.

Art Sanders was one of my mentors way back in the 1960s when I started in this hobby. I still have a postcard or two of his museum.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thanks Paul... I was starting to think maybe I was losing my mind.. Does Bound Brook NJ ring a bell for Bilton's show?? I think Lynn moved the show from Newark to Bound Brook before leaving the state and going to Clayton Del..

I'm really showing my age..

as Paul Harvey would say "NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY" lol

BLIZZ

ps Looks like a great restoration Ken... thanks for sharing the additional pictures