Searchlight horn find

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Searchlight horn find

Post by dzavracky »

I have been wanting a big searchlight horn ever since I got my small one. I went on a trip this afternoon with my dad, and we went past an antique store. We decided to stop and went inside, and in the back of the store I found 3 of the big searchlight horns!

I’d like any thoughts/advice on repainted/keeping the original paint on the horn with the flowers. I am going to strip and repaint the green and red ones. You can see my repainted searchlight in the background.

Cheers

David

P.S.---I don't know why the pictures are sideways. Is there a way to fix that?
Attachments
C81DA01C-C20B-46DE-877F-4764277F34AA.jpeg
9EFAE1A2-E9F7-45EA-9383-D0EC5B486FAF.jpeg
9761074B-123D-4028-B579-8272BEB474E4.jpeg
AC637ADC-C0CB-4AB7-9BBC-8300C45EED79.jpeg
EE29D6DF-7FDA-492E-8A2A-48FA6C64E988.jpeg
68AD0574-BBF3-42A1-A312-1D0DACCFFA96.jpeg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Searchlight horn find

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Those are some very nice horns--as usual. Which ones are going to be getting the royal treatment, and are you going to make another white one or try to go back with original Searchlight horn colors? They do look sharp, just the lines of them alone.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Charles,

I am going to try to replicate the original colors the best I can. I am going to be going off of this advertisement... one horn will be a dark blue with gold stripes. The other will be red with gold stripes.

I really like the way my horn looks. But if I was going to go back and paint it again, I wouldn't pain the stripes inside the ridges of the horn. They are hard to see.. :| . So I will be painting the horn as close to this ad as I can get it (with the stripes on the outside ridges, and in-between the ridges on the inside)

David

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Congrats! I know you've wanted one for the longest time, what an amazing thing to come across randomly in an antique store... 3 of them!!!

I believed many were originally painted in a "candy color", where you first spray a silver paint on, then overcoat that with a translucent paint. The decorations might be a bit more difficult and I couldn't really give much advice. I know you'll get them looking great, I can't wait to see them!

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well, every party needs a pooper, so here I am...

The two Searchlight horns with the "full blossom" (my made-up term) decoration are pretty rare in my experience. The red one is pretty far gone, but if I had the green one in my collection, it would be carefully cleaned and left as-is. This is the one I mean:
Searchlight.jpeg
Searchlight.jpeg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
Again, the red one looks beyond redemption, but the green one is presentable...and rare.

George P.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

George,

I wasn’t sure about keeping the paint on the green one... but I suppose you’re right. I was going to repaint it because I don’t think it’s very much to look at... especially the outside. What are your thoughts on the outside of the horn?

As expected all 3 of them are pretty rusty.

David

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

dzavracky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:07 am What are your thoughts on the outside of the horn?
It's no prize-winner, but a gentle cleaning might help. These translucent finishes on Searchlight horns are notorious for aging poorly, but a repainted horn will always be just that.

There are many, many horns which are good candidates for a repaint, but precious few of these "full blossom" Searchlight horns. They're an acquired taste, and not everyone is attracted to even a pristine example, but despite the limited aesthetics, there is some historical value to it.

Best,
George P.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

phonogfp wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:08 am
dzavracky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:07 am What are your thoughts on the outside of the horn?
It's no prize-winner, but a gentle cleaning might help. These translucent finishes on Searchlight horns are notorious for aging poorly, but a repainted horn will always be just that.

There are many, many horns which are good candidates for a repaint, but precious few of these "full blossom" Searchlight horns. They're an acquired taste, and not everyone is attracted to even a pristine example, but despite the limited aesthetics, there is some historical value to it.

Best,
George P.

What do you recommend cleaning it with?

There’s only one picture I can find if a “full blossom”.... maybe I should try to repaint the red one to match this? Or is it okay if I re-paint it with stripes?

David
Attachments
80E8F510-FAAD-40F7-A7FC-9333129046AA.jpeg
80E8F510-FAAD-40F7-A7FC-9333129046AA.jpeg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 1381 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

dzavracky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 am What do you recommend cleaning it with?
I'd use GoJo or Goop (non-pumiced, of course) sparingly. Cleaning those Searchlight horns is a pain because of all the ribs. For that reason, I'd do only a little at a time.
dzavracky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 am There’s only one picture I can find if a “full blossom”.... maybe I should try to repaint the red one to match this? Or is it okay if I re-paint it with stripes?
That's up to you. Either way, it will be a repainted horn, so choose which appeals to you more.

Good luck!

George P.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

David

I agree with George. These horns are scarce and the ones with flower designs are even scarcer. I have had great success cleaning horns with Goop/Gojo and then waxing them, resulting in surprisingly good colour from horns I had written off.
That being said some horns are far to gone and are lucky if someone like you with the time and talent to restore them to their original glory.

Here are some photos of two search light horns I have and some original adds which were provided by other collectors.

Best of Luck

Bruce
Searchlight 01.jpg
Searchlight 04.jpg
Searchlight 01.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg (137.09 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
Attachments