Apollo help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tcmeeno
Victor O

Apollo help

Post by tcmeeno »

i am trying to hook up the tone arm on an Apollo. does any body have a pic of this connection? The clip that holds the removable arm cannot latch Any help appreciated!!
Thanks Terry
102_1423.JPG
102_1423.JPG
Attachments
102_1426.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Apollo help

Post by Curt A »

I don't know anything about Apollo phonographs... With that said, looking at the tonearm connection, it appears that something is missing. It seem like there should be a round collar or something to keep it connected. The part you are trying to connect has a raised circular end which leads me to believe that something butts up to it to hold it in place with the upper part. Just a guess on my part, hopefully someone will have an answer...

How is the upper part connected to the horn? That might give you a clue...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It appears that there should be a pin the goes through the end of the tone arm, that protrudes out of each side. On one side, the pin would simply slip into a hole in the mount. Pivoting the arm towards the mount, the pin on the other side would slip into the slot in the mount. The locking arm would the swing down, hooking over the pin, and keeping it from slipping back out of the slot.

tcmeeno
Victor O

Post by tcmeeno »

i do have that pin but the latch does not fit over it , I was wondering if a part was missing? if I knew what it looked like I could possibly make one
Thanks

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I wonder if it might be worth reposting this thread, or a link to this thread, in the British and European machines section of the forum?
I'm not sure if British collectors all frequent the (American) Machines section here, so some of the more experienced British collectors may not have seen this thread.
It can't hurt to try anyway ;)

Dangermouse
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I can resist anything except temptation..

Post by Dangermouse »

Very interesting machine, have you a full photo ?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

tcmeeno wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:17 pm i do have that pin but the latch does not fit over it , I was wondering if a part was missing? if I knew what it looked like I could possibly make one
Thanks
Post a photo with the pin place and how the latch aligns with it, (or doesn't align with it). From what you show, the latch appears to be bent up, which would essentially shorten it.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The pin idea is probably correct, since there was a recent thread about another tonearm that assembled this way... It's also similar to some toy machines that have similar connections... And it looks like the upper part might be connected with a pin to allow it to swivel. The pin might have some sort of head or knob on the end to keep it from sliding all the way through when latched.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Curt A wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:26 pm The pin might have some sort of head or knob on the end to keep it from sliding all the way through when latched.

Yes, exactly!

tcmeeno
Victor O

Post by tcmeeno »

I took another few pics. i did see this type of machine on you tube but it was hard to figure out
the latch. I purchased this because these machines were frequently found in the trenches
in WW1 for entertainment. on a trip to England I saw one playing at a Battle of Britain airshow!
Not smart enough to take a pic of it at that time. I put the pin in place. This machine will not have original running
gear but should sound ok.Looks like it may have been through the war ha ha ! I'll post a pic of it completed. I think that latch may be redundant
as the tone arm seems to kinda snap in Thanks Terry
102_1428.JPG
102_1430.JPG
102_1431.JPG
102_1429.JPG