Question about this Salter cabinet.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Question about this Salter cabinet.

Post by Jerry B. »

I have a cute and narrow Salter cabinet. It came to me refinished and outfitted with drawers to hold cylinder records. Was this Salter cabinet originally offered to hold cylinder records or is it converted from a disc record cabinet? Thanks for your replies.

Jerry B.
Attachments
tempImageTk6XJm.gif
tempImageziTR8n.gif
tempImagen3BhCd.gif

ts_13
Victor II

Re: Question about this Salter cabinet.

Post by ts_13 »

Nice cabinet!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

That looks to be similar to the Salter Phonograph Cylinder Cabinet, style or model 783, which appears in the Salter Talking Machine Catalog, which you can download from this page: https://www.antiquephono.org/catalogs/s ... s-catalog/
SalterCapture.JPG
OpenSalterCapture.JPG
The major standout difference, of course, is the fact that the one in the catalog is fitted with "door shelves." Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the one you have is a later design, dispensing with the door shelves--done to prevent someone, unfamiliar with the laws of gravity, from filling up the door with records, and leaving the internal shelves empty? (As in, tip, CRASH!!!)

HTH,
OrthoFan

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks OrthoFan, that helps a lot. I looked at the Salter catalog on the APS website and it showed only the disc version. I'm delighted to see that it also came in a cylinder version.

Thanks, Jerry B.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If those cylinder drawers are not original factory items, someone with some great woodworking skill made them. Either way, it's a wonderful cabinet...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

If those cylinder drawers are not original factory items, someone with some great woodworking skill made them. Either way, it's a wonderful cabinet...
The drawers in mine look more like the shelves mounted on the doors of the one shown from the catalog. Curt, is that what you were thinking?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

They don't look exactly like the ones shown in the catalog, but very similar style, if not original...
The ones in the catalog look to have wooden dividers, where Jerry's cabinet has similar drawers without dividers...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife