The Victrola Mystery Hole

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

The Victrola Mystery Hole

Post by MikeB »

I went for years without buying a Victrola IX, and now I found three of them in the space of a couple of months. Here is #3, (the really cheap one!), which is a bit of a mystery. It is a 1914 "F" machine.

There is a hole drilled in the cabinet on the left side of the cabinet, near the rear. Normally when I see something like this I think that the machine was re-motored, but that doesn't appear to be the case, because:
1) The hole is too far back for a crank, well behind where the motor board ends.
2) The motor looks original to me, but maybe I am missing something.

Everything on the right side looks correct, the crank shaft lines up with the original crank hole on the right, and the machine appears largely right to me. There is also one hole in the motor board that I can't account for as well, and a square hole cut in the bottom, roughly beneath the hole on the left. The extra hole in the motor board can be seen on the right of the photo of the motor board top, and on the bottom photo of the motor board.

I think this machine is completely restorable, but I am hoping that it has not been re-motored.

What do you think?
Attachments
IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0650.jpg
IMG_0662.jpg

oliver
Victor I

Re: The Victrola Mystery Hole

Post by oliver »

I don't think your machine was re-motored.

First thing that comes to mind: could someone in the past have tried to rig up some kind of lamp on the side of the Victrola? That might explain the extra hole on the side (for a threaded lamp rod) and the square hole in the bottom panel (for a wire)...just an idea...

Nice looking machine. Thank you for saving it.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

I'm with Oliver on this
I think that your motor is original. I can't image any fitting motor that would need a winging key on that side of the machine. That hole must have accommodated some kind of add-on/attachment. Again, nice save on that machine. I have one just like it. Oak Victrolas are always highly prized.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thanks. I too think that the motor is original. The extra motor board hole still has me stumped, though, circled here is yellow. It does look like a washer was here at some point.

As for the hole in the side, I would like to try and plug it. My woodworking skills are very limited, but we will see how it goes.
Attachments
IMG_0666.jpg

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

It's interesting that the extra hole on the side of the cabinet appears to be threaded. One would not expect a drilled hole to be threaded unless it was made to receive a threaded whatever.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:08 am
As for the hole in the side, I would like to try and plug it. My woodworking skills are very limited, but we will see how it goes.

If you can come up with a matching piece of veneer, you've already won half the battle.

Another possible explanation would be that the machine was used on a ship and someone had secured it with some kind of contraption to keep it from moving around...The extra hole in the motor board however, beats me.
I find it perfectly fine for these machines to have scars. After all, they are not really inanimate objects and most have endured hard and demanding lives, kind of like us.

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

There is another mystery hole in the motor board that looks very much like the one that is circled. It is on the front-left side, on the joint, an inch or two in from the corner. It is fainter than the other but looks like the same size.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Almost certainly at some time it has been used with an electric pickup connected to a radio speaker :D easy to recreate this !

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

hbick2 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 am There is another mystery hole in the motor board that looks very much like the one that is circled. It is on the front-left side, on the joint, an inch or two in from the corner. It is fainter than the other but looks like the same size.
That's the hole for the motor board lift knob. It's missing on this machine but they are easy to find.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

soundgen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:00 am Almost certainly at some time it has been used with an electric pickup connected to a radio speaker :D easy to recreate this !
That'd explain the hole in the side and on the motor board, as well as the missing reproducer!