Victrola VV 8-9

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Re: Victrola VV 8-9

Post by need4art »

OK here goes: to start with I would not use Kotton Klenser it is simply a go to item and is not specific enough for this paint.
I would start with good old spit. Yes spit. For hundreds of years it was the go to for paint conservators and still works. Take a cue tip and roll it over your tongue,
the idea here is to pick up some of the moisture from your mouth-do not make it soaking wet. There is some acid along with that moisture from your mouth and that may be enough to do a pretty good job of cleaning. Do not drink coffee, coke, or smoke before doing this. Then lightly roll that cue tip over the paint so that it turns to you-DO NOT STROKE IT!

If the end of the cue tip changes color-but does not pick up the color from the machine than you are cleaning it. Do one panel at a time-you will not have enough spit to keep the process stable. Why not use the Kotten Klenser? I have 50 or so reagents for cleaning, oils, acrylics, tempera and other forms of paintings that I have developed over the years along with some of the formulas from some of my mentors, and I have cleaned poly-chrome frames before but they are always varnished and I work from that level of experience. I think this poly-chrome has been over coated with a glaze. which is what is changing over time and it impacts the color. After looking at the original owner and your pectus I see what I think is wood tone coming through, or is it just the top color changing?

Post a picture of your cue tip-it does take a bit to get the feel of the process-if you do not pick up any color or dirt let us know and we will look at what might work next. The idea here is to understand that I have cleaned an oil painting 4 or 5 times to get it really clean, and used different cleaners of different strengths, because if you start out with a strong chemical you might go to far and remove paint right out of the gate.

Abe

Abe

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

David F wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:52 am
ChesterCheetah18 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:50 am That's a steal at $300!! Very scarce and neat machines. Nice buy!
Thanks! Now I really got to be sure I don’t mess this up. Lol
It's pretty nice. Looking at the cabinet, it doesn't seem to need anything, not even a cleaning. I would not touch it. Leave it alone, get the reproducer fixed, and enjoy. Don't f*ck it up.

Garret

David F
Victor Jr

Post by David F »

Thanks for the tips for everyone! I will avoid the Kotton Klenser on it and go with the spit shine approach.

I did also get a replacement for that missing screw from eBay. I think I am just about to put it back together. One question:

Should I oil the gasket on the tone arm? It is in better shape then I expected and I was just got to put it back on but wondered if some oil would be beneficial. And if so what sort of oil should I use?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

David F wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:19 pm Thanks for the tips for everyone! I will avoid the Kotton Klenser on it and go with the spit shine approach.

I did also get a replacement for that missing screw from eBay. I think I am just about to put it back together. One question:

Should I oil the gasket on the tone arm? It is in better shape then I expected and I was just got to put it back on but wondered if some oil would be beneficial. And if so what sort of oil should I use?
If it's a rubber gasket, do not oil it. The oil will degrade the rubber.

David F
Victor Jr

Post by David F »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:31 pm
David F wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:19 pm Thanks for the tips for everyone! I will avoid the Kotton Klenser on it and go with the spit shine approach.

If it's a rubber gasket, do not oil it. The oil will degrade the rubber.
Thank you!