Edison Needle-Type portable.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Gramophile
Victor Jr

Edison Needle-Type portable.

Post by Gramophile »

Edison was advertising the P1 and P2 portables (made for them by Prime Mfg. Co. of Milwaukee) in the summer of 1929, ready for the launch of the "Needle Type" (lateral) records.
Though back in January 1929, this Diamond Disc supplement advertises a "Needle Type Portable" Giant - next to that other giant, BA Rolfe. It's quite different to the P1 & P2, which have front-mount carrying handles, rear-mount tone-arms, round-top record carriers, and wider cases.
My question is; did the earlier model ever reach production, and if so, has anyone seen any examples ?
Attachments
Edison portable, Jan. 1929..jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Needle-Type portable.

Post by phonogfp »

We showed an example in our book, Discovering Antique Phonographs. Here's a scan of the relevant page (click image twice to enlarge and sharpen):

George P.
From "Discovering Antique Phonographs" by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.
From "Discovering Antique Phonographs" by Fabrizio & Paul. All Rights Reserved.

AudioAntique
Victor II
Personal Text: "There is always a way to do it better....find it" Thomas Edison

Post by AudioAntique »

Good observation on the advertising brochure. These portables don't show up too often, but I think they have a very cool "art deco" style. I don't know why the machine was changed three times during it's short run. Probably lower production costs.
Here are some photos.

Rob R
Attachments
P3 - 1-LR.jpg
P3 - 2-LR.jpg
P3 - 3-LR.jpg
P3 - 4-LR.jpg
P3 - 5-LR.jpg
P3 - 6-LR.jpg
http://www.audioantique.com - Books featuring: Hearthstone Historic House Museum, Nipper Collectibles, Nipper items, Phonograph Dolls & Toys; Items for sale.

Gramophile
Victor Jr

Post by Gramophile »

Thanks, George P.; I should have checked your book !
And AudioAntique; WOW, to see a real example is great. Aren't they Columbia-like? Though the "E" triangle on the soundbox cover is delightfully quirky.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

AudioAntique wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23 pm Good observation on the advertising brochure. These portables don't show up too often, but I think they have a very cool "art deco" style. I don't know why the machine was changed three times during it's short run. Probably lower production costs.
Here are some photos.

Rob R
I wouldn't say it was "changed three times". To me they are 3 distinct models, not successors of each other. The Needle Type bears no resemblance to the P-1 or P-2. The P-2 is sort of a "junior" version of the P-1, but still different.