What's This?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono+888
Victor O

What's This?

Post by Phono+888 »

Hi all,

I just bought a Columbia AJ Top Wind. It came with the reproducer shown below. The Mica was broken out with the exception of the very outer bits. I have taken this apart as shown in the photos but I do not seem to be able to find any photos of this particular reproducer. It doesn't have any stamping or markings to identify it as Columbia. The few photos I have seen with the Improved reproducer from Columbia do not have the holes in the front of the reproducer. Also where might be the best place to find a thumb screw? This has very small threads and I tried thumb screws from Victor Concert, Clark Johnson and other various reproducers and no luck.

Thanks in advance for any help. Todd
Attachments
R2.jpg
R5.jpg
R4.jpg
R1.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: What's This?

Post by Inigo »

Seems a bootleg copy of the Victor Concert / Clark - Johnson reproducer of the Trademark machine.
Inigo

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

That looks like the correct early Columbia reproducer body for a top wind AJ. I had one just like it on mine. Very desirable reproducer. It is worth getting restored. Wyatt Marcus does great work on reproducers.

Phono+888
Victor O

Post by Phono+888 »

Thanks for the information. Yes I know Wyatt Marcus.

Cheers
Attachments
Forgot this photo
Forgot this photo

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Agreed-- A very nice, early reproducer--and looks mostly complete--just needs a thumbscrew and a full rebuild. Wyatt would treat it well!

Brad Abell