Trash or treasure?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GarethDover
Victor Jr

Trash or treasure?

Post by GarethDover »

Apologies for the random nature of this post, but this seems like the best place to get some advice. We have inherited 5 dictaphone machines from my mother-in-law. She saved them when they were being thrown out by a local solicitors. They have been gathering dust in out garage for some years and we wanted to work out what to do with them. We both work for museums and the thought of throwing them away after all this time doesn’t feel right to us, so we are hoping that someone can give us some advice on if they are worthy of preservation? We are based in Kent in the UK but think these machines may be American, so are posting here.
Attachments
0B3C670D-5642-43A4-87DD-EF8FE7430848.jpeg
78633FF5-FE26-4707-9C31-4C97CE34D508.jpeg
330D12BC-0832-473F-B1A8-1612BD3A5D21.jpeg
09F813FC-E2B0-4D5F-86F6-BC220349BE17.jpeg
BB5DFB06-D1F2-4B19-91F5-38C907CA50B6.jpeg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Trash or treasure?

Post by Curt A »

What do you want to do with them, they are not trash, but certainly aren't "treasure". Hopefully someone in the UK will want them.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree with Curt. They have low value. You can't play entertainment cylinders on them.

Jerry B.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

The shaving machine may be worth something to anyone who wants to make their own recordings - if the blade is in good shape.

- Bill

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I think they are beautiful and would make a neat sort of audio guestbook for a gathering or something.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

They'll be treasure to somebody.
If you can't be bothered advertising them, don't just throw them away. Give them to lifeline or some other charity so someone can make a little bit of money and they find a new home where they're appreciated.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Hello Gareth! I'm near Dover too! I also have a set of these machines, slightly later versions - one day I may get round to trying to record with them. They come up for sale occasionally on the likes of eBay and I follow them for interest - sadly, they rarely sell unless very cheap. But as others have said, they can be used for cylinder recording and are worthy of preservation. Unfortunately they are a different format to other cylinder phonographs and the recordings can't be played on other types of machine.

The shaving machines however can be used for normal cylinders, and consequently have more value than the others (for recording and playback) so sadly, these sets often get split up rendering the other machines more or less useless.

Best wishes,
Andy
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

GarethDover
Victor Jr

Post by GarethDover »

Sorry for the delay in replying, busy week at work. Thanks for all your help and advice. I think we will post into the sales/swap group and see if anyone would like them for free. It would be great to see them go to a good home.