Edison Standard for restoration :(

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Edison Standard for restoration :(

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

jamiegramo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:36 pm
Granby wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:04 pm Barn find! Hey, I wonder if that will catch on in our hobby and others like it did for collector/classic cars??? LOL :lol:
Funny you should say that because in the adjacent garage there was this 1951 Humber. In much better condition than the phonograph but not, I am told, a particularly desirable motor car.
That's still a beautiful old car--I love those rounded Art Deco cars from before they started putting fins on everything. They don't want to be rid of that too, do they?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I think a 1951 Humber is a desirable car... but we don't find or see a Humber in the USA, all we see are Hummers.
2003-hummer-h2-on-ebay.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

Too bad! I'd take it if you didn't want it.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

This seems like a job for The Repair Shop https://www.netflix.com/title/81224128
Just tell them a sentimental story about how this little device brought your family together for generations and how it was your grandmother's dying wish to have it working again.

Cheers from your sister city in the U.S!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

That’s a bit rough. But as thevictrolaguy on YouTube says “don’t overlook the junk machines!”

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:56 pm
Granby wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:04 pm Barn find! Hey, I wonder if that will catch on in our hobby and others like it did for collector/classic cars??? LOL :lol:
Just add "ran when parked" and you're all set!
Perhaps I should sell the phonograph as ‘working well when it was stored decades ago’.
:D

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

jamiegramo wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:54 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:56 pm
Just add "ran when parked" and you're all set!
Perhaps I should sell the phonograph as ‘working well when it was stored decades ago’.
:D
That or “Have no records to test”
Ebayese for “It don’t work” 😆

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:38 pm
jamiegramo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:36 pm
Funny you should say that because in the adjacent garage there was this 1951 Humber. In much better condition than the phonograph but not, I am told, a particularly desirable motor car.
That's still a beautiful old car--I love those rounded Art Deco cars from before they started putting fins on everything. They don't want to be rid of that too, do they?
When I was younger I wanted a 59 Cadillac but now I tend to agree with you.

I’m not sure what the owner is doing with it but I would imagine it would cost many times it’s worth to cross the Atlantic. :|

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Curt A wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:27 pm I think a 1951 Humber is a desirable car... but we don't find or see a Humber in the USA, all we see are Hummers.
2003-hummer-h2-on-ebay.jpg
An interesting comment. I don’t know much about old cars but I assumed that an American motor car of the same age would be much more superior and rated to a British one.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Dischoard wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:31 am This seems like a job for The Repair Shop https://www.netflix.com/title/81224128
Just tell them a sentimental story about how this little device brought your family together for generations and how it was your grandmother's dying wish to have it working again.

Cheers from your sister city in the U.S!
And cheers from old St. Albans! I never spoke to anyone from another St. Albans.

If that’s the ‘British’ Repair Shop (your link doesn’t work for me), they ruined an Edison Opera and I wouldn’t watch it after that. Mind you I don’t suppose they could make my Standard any worse? Fix up the case with fibreglass?