Edison Standard for restoration :(

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Edison Standard for restoration :(

Post by Curt A »

If those are 4 minute wax Amberols (judging by the green boxes), it is an absolute miracle that they survived... Once you clean them up and put them on a mandrel they will probably self destruct as they normally do when kept in pristine condition (they are known for that). :roll: :? :lol:

You could always put them on eBay and describe them as "slightly soiled and gently used" or "stored safely in a peat bog for the last 100 years"...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Edison Standard for restoration :(

Post by jamiegramo »

The photo shows the deterioration where the surface of the wax is actually peeling off. Perhaps the glue in the cardboard case has dissolved and stuck to the surface along with temperature change damage. I doubt any will be playable.

I notice there’s a copy of The Teddy Bears Picnic. That must be an early recording?

As Curt says they didn’t last. I don’t think I have any of the ones left that I had as a youngster.

Mind you. I’ve gotta say it, I’m now disillusioned with Blue Amberols, I recently bought one and it arrived cracked. The first non-cheapie I’ve bought. The cheapies have always arrived perfect.
Attachments
72444835-2BD0-40F8-A875-8B0FBC3D9431.jpeg