Columbia Vivatonal 711 question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Columbia Vivatonal 711 question

Post by dzavracky »

Can someone explain what this extra barrel is for?

David
Attachments
73C9D256-4E37-43AC-A5D0-1381B13B05D1.png
208111AE-0DFB-414C-9121-B06110CC7C51.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Columbia Vivatonal 711 question

Post by JerryVan »

It's a 3 spring motor. That's the third spring.
Like a "third wheel" on a date, it's not wanted by the couple. ;)

Is this something you bought?

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

It’s a customers machine; I went and picked it up for him yesterday.

Why is the spring barrel so small?

David

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

dzavracky wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:00 pm It’s a customers machine; I went and picked it up for him yesterday.

Why is the spring barrel so small?

David
Because it only holds one spring, versus the other barrel, which holds 2. The narrow one should be roughly ½ the length of the wide one, which it appears to be.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Thanks Jerry!

The motor doesn't run at the moment... but I am really looking forward to taking this motor apart.

Cheers,

David

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

I would like to see it running. The only Viva-Tonal I have (aside from a portable) is the smaller 720 and I use it less than my Credenzas and Sonora Philharmonic.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I have the 800 Viva Tonal and I had the motor worked on, its a three spring as well. For some reason as you mentioned the springs are rather small for a large machine and on mine you won't get more than one play of a 12" record. Maybe two 10", but I doubt it. Beware that the motors are quite difficult to adjust and the fellow who did mine said he wouldn't do another!

Larry

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

larryh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:49 pm I have the 800 Viva Tonal and I had the motor worked on, its a three spring as well. For some reason as you mentioned the springs are rather small for a large machine and on mine you won't get more than one play of a 12" record. Maybe two 10", but I doubt it. Beware that the motors are quite difficult to adjust and the fellow who did mine said he wouldn't do another!

Larry

Great :lol: :lol: .. Now I have something to look forward to....A night of frustration and colorful metaphors.

David

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

An useful measure to compare different motors would be to take account of how many spring turns it takes to wind up completely from zero. Not crank turns, but the actual number of turns of the springs. The crank to spring has a demultiplication ratio. I think it could be measured by taking account of the turns of the spring barrels. It can be done observing one barrel and multiply by the number of springs. This is small n. Total number of turns of the springs.
Then we take the time the motor runs down until full stop under no load at 78rpm, so we finally have the turns of the turntable in a full wind down. This is big N.
The N/n ratio would give an idea of how strong the springs are, for we could see here the turns of the spindle for one turn of one spring. Or what is the same, the multiplication that the motor gears have in total from the spring to the spindle. Greater ratio means powerful springs, and longer runs; smaller ratio means smaller springs. It could be interesting to compare different motors by this ratio.
Inigo

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Inigo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:09 am An useful measure to compare different motors would be to take account of how many spring turns it takes to wind up completely from zero. Not crank turns, but the actual number of turns of the springs. The crank to spring has a demultiplication ratio. I think it could be measured by taking account of the turns of the spring barrels. It can be done observing one barrel and multiply by the number of springs. This is small n. Total number of turns of the springs.
Then we take the time the motor runs down until full stop under no load at 78rpm, so we finally have the turns of the turntable in a full wind down. This is big N.
The N/n ratio would give an idea of how strong the springs are, for we could see here the turns of the spindle for one turn of one spring. Or what is the same, the multiplication that the motor gears have in total from the spring to the spindle. Greater ratio means powerful springs, and longer runs; smaller ratio means smaller springs. It could be interesting to compare different motors by this ratio.

What a great idea! I think I'll do this when I take the motor apart! Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.

David