Interesting Ebay Model

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Interesting Ebay Model

Post by antique1973 »

Is anyone familiar with this model? It looks pretty nice but the
motor reminds me of a cheapo portable type.

eBay Item #160487085215

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Interesting Ebay Model

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think this machine was offered some time ago, stating it was a Klingsor prototype. I dont remember the cabinet being offered last time, but it may have been. I also dont remember what conclusions were drawn for it in the end, but I think(?) there was a lot against it actually being Klingsor prototype.
It probably is an authentic "off-brand" machine out of Germany or somewhere, but I cant help but think they're attempting to attach a big name to the big price.
I also find it kind of odd that the soundbox appears to have new gaskets, yet the mica looks very grubby, making it difficult to read what's behind it.
The soundbox looks like a Paillard to me, so I'd assume the motor is too. It's probably not a bad motor provided the springs aren't fatigued.
I guess it would be nice to have in a collection for the novelty factors, but I think the machine itself is only worth about ¼ of the asking price- especially with no proof of it's origins.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Are you serious about buying this? Or are you just kicking the tires? It seems a bit out of your price range. I thought you liked the $200 and under machines. :cry:
Best regards ... AZ*

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

gramophoneshane wrote:I think this machine was offered some time ago, stating it was a Klingsor prototype. I dont remember the cabinet being offered last time, but it may have been. I also dont remember what conclusions were drawn for it in the end, but I think(?) there was a lot against it actually being Klingsor prototype.
It probably is an authentic "off-brand" machine out of Germany or somewhere, but I cant help but think they're attempting to attach a big name to the big price.
I also find it kind of odd that the soundbox appears to have new gaskets, yet the mica looks very grubby, making it difficult to read what's behind it.
The soundbox looks like a Paillard to me, so I'd assume the motor is too. It's probably not a bad motor provided the springs aren't fatigued.
I guess it would be nice to have in a collection for the novelty factors, but I think the machine itself is only worth about ¼ of the asking price- especially with no proof of it's origins.

Thanks for the analysis Shane. I have to agree the price is out of line, and the origins are suspect.
The wooden tone arm is pretty wild I must say, never seen one like it.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

AZ* wrote:Are you serious about buying this? Or are you just kicking the tires? It seems a bit out of your price range. I thought you liked the $200 and under machines. :cry:

No, if I was going to throw down several thousand I would have bought that fixer Vic 6. :)
You are correct, I generally have a budget of 500 or less. I was just interested in
learning more about an unusual looking machine.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

AZ* wrote:Are you serious about buying this? Or are you just kicking the tires? It seems a bit out of your price range. I thought you liked the $200 and under machines. :cry:
Are you serious?
I wasn't aware you had to be interested in buying a particular machine, to enquire about it, & perhaps learn a little for future reference- regardless of whether you can afford a $200 or $20,000 machine.
Actually, I found your entire comment quite rude. This ain't some exclusive country club for multi-millionaire snobs to gather and gossip about the pond scum :roll:

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

gramophoneshane wrote:
Are you serious?
I wasn't aware you had to be interested in buying a particular machine, to enquire about it, & perhaps learn a little for future reference- regardless of whether you can afford a $200 or $20,000 machine.
Actually, I found your entire comment quite rude. This ain't some exclusive country club for multi-millionaire snobs to gather and gossip about the pond scum :roll:
And who made you the judge of the posts here? Or did you appoint yourself since you are the current top poster on this board? If I posted a reply to every one of your posts that I objected to, I would be among the top posters too.

I find many of your posts to be rude, and I really don't give a ----- what you think.
Best regards ... AZ*

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Without doubt, the reproducer is wrongly added. There was an unnamed company in Strausberg east of Berlin which manufactured gramophone tonearms, reproducers and funnels from multicolored wood. I have read a press report from the Leipzig autumn fair in 1907 which says that despite the refinement of manufacture the tonearm looked clumsy and the acoustical effect was equal to zero.

When did Victor or any other US firm introduce the first wooden funnels?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Wooden tone arms are probably more of a novelty than anything else- the only US company to use them extensively was Sonora. I've seen quite a few German portables with wood arms.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Starkton wrote:Without doubt, the reproducer is wrongly added. There was an unnamed company in Strausberg east of Berlin which manufactured gramophone tonearms, reproducers and funnels from multicolored wood. I have read a press report from the Leipzig autumn fair in 1907 which says that despite the refinement of manufacture the tonearm looked clumsy and the acoustical effect was equal to zero.

When did Victor or any other US firm introduce the first wooden funnels?

Thanks for the info Starkton. Its pretty funny how they are asking such an
exorbitant price and the reproducer is incorrect. :shock: