Victrola Spring Barrel Repair?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jwb88
Victor II

Victrola Spring Barrel Repair?

Post by Jwb88 »

Has anyone else come across this? It looks like the large gear with spring shaft has been fixed at two points to the double-spring barrel. The spring that would run this side is broken, so is this an old “repair” to effectively make it function as a single-spring motor? Thoughts?
Attachments
78FB5A1D-2E83-4BE8-B41F-0F82141B0FF3.jpeg
A8B2E517-9C6D-4E76-A13F-55CCACA74BA9.jpeg

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: Victrola Spring Barrel Repair?

Post by soundgen »

Jwb88 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:11 am Has anyone else come across this? It looks like the large gear with spring shaft has been fixed at two points to the double-spring barrel. The spring that would run this side is broken, so is this an old “repair” to effectively make it function as a single-spring motor? Thoughts?
Yes , exactly that !

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Typical red neck "repair"... :roll: :?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Depression Era necessity?

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Curt A wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm Typical red neck "repair"... :roll: :?
Speaking as one, I don't think it was done by a redneck. Most of us would have gone ahead and made a trolling motor out it. :P :coffee:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Jwb88 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:11 am Has anyone else come across this? It looks like the large gear with spring shaft has been fixed at two points to the double-spring barrel. The spring that would run this side is broken, so is this an old “repair” to effectively make it function as a single-spring motor? Thoughts?
I can't quite figure out what was used to fix the large gear to the double spring barrel.

Could you please just confirm what was actually done ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It's clear from the photos. They installed the big gear at the closed side of the barrel (these are reversible) and soldered the gear to the barrel neck at the centre, two opposite welded points. You can see the solder from outside, although I suppose most of it is actually under the gear centre. This way, the gear moves solidary to the barrel, so only the outer spring is needed to move the motor, as the spring moves the barrel and this moves the solidary large gear, without need to have the bottom spring to do that. In fact, to restore the motor, you'll have to desolder and free the large gear from the barrel, and install the first (bottom) spring again.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Inigo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm It's clear from the photos. They installed the big gear at the closed side of the barrel (these are reversible) and soldered the gear to the barrel neck at the centre, two opposite welded points. You can see the solder from outside, although I suppose most of it is actually under the gear centre. This way, the gear moves solidary to the barrel, so only the outer spring is needed to move the motor, as the spring moves the barrel and this moves the solidary large gear, without need to have the bottom spring to do that. In fact, to restore the motor, you'll have to desolder and free the large gear from the barrel, and install the first (bottom) spring again.
I see. Great information and really appreciated Inigo.

I am going to try to repair a spring in my Garrard 1a motor tomorrow and it made me think about this thread.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

poodling around wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:05 pm
Inigo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm It's clear from the photos. They installed the big gear at the closed side of the barrel (these are reversible) and soldered the gear to the barrel neck at the centre, two opposite welded points. You can see the solder from outside, although I suppose most of it is actually under the gear centre. This way, the gear moves solidary to the barrel, so only the outer spring is needed to move the motor, as the spring moves the barrel and this moves the solidary large gear, without need to have the bottom spring to do that. In fact, to restore the motor, you'll have to desolder and free the large gear from the barrel, and install the first (bottom) spring again.
I see. Great information and really appreciated Inigo.

I am going to try to repair a spring in my Garrard 1a motor tomorrow and it made me think about this thread.
Best of luck repairing a spring ! Much easier to replace with a new one ! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133678513658