Victrola Spring Barrel Repair?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Victrola Spring Barrel Repair?

Post by poodling around »

soundgen wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:21 pm
poodling around wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:05 pm
Inigo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm It's clear from the photos. They installed the big gear at the closed side of the barrel (these are reversible) and soldered the gear to the barrel neck at the centre, two opposite welded points. You can see the solder from outside, although I suppose most of it is actually under the gear centre. This way, the gear moves solidary to the barrel, so only the outer spring is needed to move the motor, as the spring moves the barrel and this moves the solidary large gear, without need to have the bottom spring to do that. In fact, to restore the motor, you'll have to desolder and free the large gear from the barrel, and install the first (bottom) spring again.
I see. Great information and really appreciated Inigo.

I am going to try to repair a spring in my Garrard 1a motor tomorrow and it made me think about this thread.
Best of luck repairing a spring ! Much easier to replace with a new one ! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133678513658
Thanks soundgen !

If the spring is too 'broken' I will definitely follow that link !

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Victrola Spring Barrel Repair?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Yup that’s the thing when acquiring a new machine is seeing how many redneck repairs have been done.