Amet phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonocookie
Victor I

Amet phonographs

Post by phonocookie »

All the pictures of Amet motors in phonographs have the front door that tips down. Did they put any in machines that you had to lift up the top works to get at the motor?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Amet phonographs

Post by phonogfp »

The rare 3-mainspring aluminum "Chicago Motor" of 1896-97 was sold in a cabinet lacking a drop-down door. However, no one knows who designed the motor. It could have be Edward H. Amet, but there's no proof of that.

That possible exception is the only instance I know where an Amet motor might have been sold in a cabinet with no drop-down door.

George P.

phonocookie
Victor I

Post by phonocookie »

Thank You George.

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

Does anyone know if any of the early Amet phonographs came with a lid. I have only ever seen a lid on the coin-op Amet phonographs, otherwise I have never seen a lid displayed with an Amet phonograph. Did they originally come with one?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Yep - they all have/had lids. I guess no one includes them in the pictures!

George P.

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

Thanks George!!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

You bet, Mike!

George P.

zonophpones7
Victor I

Post by zonophpones7 »

Here are some photos of my Amet Spring Motor machine with the 3 Ball governor. The lid has posts that come through holes in the bedplate. levers engage the post to hold it in place. The bent wood of the lid is very thin oak not veneer. and is subject to cracking. The handle looks to have been replaced with an Edison handle at some point.
Gregg
Attachments
Amet Spring motor
Amet Spring motor
3 ball governor amet motor
3 ball governor amet motor
lid latch lever
lid latch lever
lid post
lid post
machine with lid
machine with lid

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

Beautiful phonograph Gregg!!! Thanks for posting these.

You're Amet show why motors that have been identified as Amet have drop down doors. The motor is secured to the bottom of the case. Therefore, with the belt in place, a top open arrangement would not work. Access was best given by a front door. Plus is is is so much cooler!!!!

Great pics!!!

Shawn
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

zonophpones7
Victor I

Post by zonophpones7 »

Here is my example of the Aluminum Motor Chicago talking machine. This example has the Bell Tainter type K upper works. The casting was designed to be used with either the Class M upper works or Bell Tainter. The Crank is also cast Aluminum and is threaded. The bedplate has a cool Chicago Talking Machine Stencil on it. The lid uses clips with spring loaded buttons on the side of the lid to release. I would not want to trust these to carry the machine even when it was new! The motor reminds me of a Triton motor at first glance due to the three spring design and the black spring barrels. However the similarity ends there. It has a metal edged fiber gear very similar to early Columbia motors. Other than these similarities it seems to be unique. On other unique feature to this machine is that the belt runs as a figure eight or the the mandrel runs backwards!
Gregg
Attachments
Chicago Talking Machine W/ Bell Tainter K upper works
Chicago Talking Machine W/ Bell Tainter K upper works
Chicago Talking Machine lid clip
Chicago Talking Machine lid clip
Chicago Talking Machine with lid
Chicago Talking Machine with lid
Chicago Talking Machine aluminum motor