HOME BRASS MANDREL

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

HOME BRASS MANDREL

Post by tomb »

I have a home s/n H 9918 and was curious as to when Edison quit putting on the brass mandrel and the one screw carriage. I have checked both of Flows books and there is no information. If I wanted to purchase a brass mandrel I do not want it not to be correct but was assigned. Tom

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: HOME BRASS MANDREL

Post by phonogfp »

An article on the suitcase Home appeared in the September 2006 issue of the APS magazine, so if you're a member just go to the website [https://www.antiquephono.org/], click on the "Library" tab, then "Content" on the drop-down menu. Then scroll waaaaay down to "T" and find "The Sound Box Publication-2006-09. The article begins on page 3.

Based on that research, Home No.9918 in all probability left the factory with a nickeled mandrel. That will save you several hundred dollars!

The single-screw clips, although not specifically canvassed in the research, did not survive nearly as long as the brass mandrels, so there's another problem solved.

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks George, you definitely saved me a bundle . It also keeps the phonograph original instead of adding parts that do not belong. I will look up the article and thanks for that info. Now to look for a nice phonograph to play around with. Tom

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

That is a nice article and it is nice to see you were involved. My numbered phonograph was a Dec. machine and they quit the brass mandrel in Oct or Nov. There is also an earlier top in the 7000 range ( top only ) and would take a lot to complete it . It could qualify because Edison used up parts and left overs at different times. Decisions decisions I think I will sleep on it. I was thinking about it as there is a brass mandrel and a single screw carriage on E bay now. They are a kings ransom . Tom