2 4 minute gearing problem on Triumph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

2 4 minute gearing problem on Triumph

Post by Mormon S »

I tried installing my (admittedly poor condition) 2-4 minute gearing and mandrel onto my triumph, as my edison home was not strong enough to run it. To my surprise, one of the screws lines up perfectly with the casting, completely getting in its way. Is there a way to get around this, or were these 2 never meant to be together?

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
20210322_112947.jpg
20210322_112931.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: 2 4 minute gearing problem on Triumph

Post by Jerry B. »

I think the combination kits for Homes and Triumphs are specific to each model and series. For example you run into difficulties moving a combination attachment from a Triumph A to a Triumph B. I would think going from a Home to a Triumph introduces more difficulty. The individual components are marked for the correct machine.

Jerry B.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

It looks like you are using the pulley from the early conversion kit with the switch. You need the later style pulley if you are not using the switch see pictures.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
C93C560C-502C-4B7F-996F-E1D5BC4BEDE6.jpeg
B642C340-8457-46F2-8949-B6CBD66B3D6F.jpeg

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

You may need to tweek the adjustment of the mandrel/mainshaft assembly left to right and try to find a spot where the parts will not interfere.
It may not be possible to adjust everything where the screws will not strike that stanchion. You may have to relieve the casting very slightly by sanding or filing.
Try adjusting the position of everything first though. The model A Triumph 2/4 conversion is very finicky. The model A Home and Triumph kits are supposed to be identical, with the same length mainshaft and feedscrew. The bracket for the switch will be different because of the larger back rod on the Triumph.
It also looks like your feedscrew is too far to the right.