Caruso Pathé Cylinders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

Caruso Pathé Cylinders

Post by KCW »

Does anyone know how many different Caruso Pathé cylinders are out there? There is one on eBay currently for 1200$. I would never want to own a cylinder that expensive. On the other hand, it would be amazing to have a reproduction. I wrote Vulcan to see if they might do some. It would be great to have a few different ones too!

Victor VI

Re: Caruso Pathé Cylinders

Post by 52089 »

There are 3 as far as I know. They have been reproduced by Norman Bruderhofer's Berlin Phonograph Works. See phonoworks.com for more info.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

The guy selling the one on eBay had one more, in what appeared to be good condition, that went for around $1400 some time ago. The one on now has "a small crack" that extends about half the length of the cylinder. In other words, it's wrecked, but the seller seems to think he'll get almost as much for it as he did for the good one. He's relisted it several times now, I think. :roll:

Pathé released all three selections on sapphire ball cut discs, too. They also go high, but not nearly *that* high.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Yes, there are three titles:
84003 Tu non mi piu bene - Romance
84004 E lucevan le stelle (Tosca)
84005 Qui sotto il ciel (Ugonotti)

and they seem to go for quite outrageous amounts of money.

As drh says, it is better to try and acquire the discs as they tend go for sensible amounts of cash as they are relatively common.

Regards

TW-W

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Here are the Phonoworks Germany recordings.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Thanks for posting those, Valecnik.

It's interesting that the accompaniment commences during the announcement, it is the same on the discs. I suppose it was to deter pirates.

All the best

Tim W-W

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Wow thank you posting these! I’m going to get the copies. So cool!