Early VV-X needing life support

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Early VV-X needing life support

Post by dzavracky »

I also vote for saving it. I’m working on a restoration myself at the moment that should have been left for parts. But I couldn’t help myself :lol: It’s going to be a lot of work.. but it’ll be worth it in the end.

David

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

CharliePhono wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:14 pm Somehow, I can't see me chucking what's left of it on the burn pile.
YES! I also face that dilemma. I just can't seem to bring myself to throw away those old parts - rusty screws, broken springs, etc., even the tattered, moth eaten, ratty felt from the turntable! :lol:

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

CharliePhono wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:14 pm Hey Oliver, your machine is really nice and close in number to mine (28**; I still can't make out the last two numbers because of the very dark ID plate).

Frisco, thanks for the upvote on trying to save the machine. As it turns out, a very nice collector in Oregon contacted me about his empty VV-X case in mahogany. So we are going to see what plays out with that. It will either be a completed mahogany model with the parts from mine or mine will end up having some mahogany parts (temporarily). And you're right about being left with a hulk if I part it out. Somehow, I can't see me chucking what's left of it on the burn pile.

I appreciate the encouragement and am indeed going to try to save this poor old thing. As has been pointed out, I have most of it, and it would be a sin to just trash it.
Hi Charlie,

If you end up completing it as a mahogany model, may I suggest you hold on to the original cabinet because sooner or later the missing pieces will turn up. You could contact George Vollema who I believe has a lot of cabinet parts. That would put you extremely close to having two early Victrolas, one mahogany and one oak, filling the cup of your happiness to its very brim.

Regards,
Oliver

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Thanks, Oliver, and that's exactly my thinking. The empty cabinet is lovely and complete, including the knobs, so it would seem a shame to dismantle it to complete my oak one. The problem is going to be storage! My little space is full!

David Z., thank you for the encouragement. As you can see, the plan is indeed to keep and attempt to make at least one good machine!

Frisco, I have to say some of my most cherished items came to me in terrible shape, and I was able to bring them back from being tossed into the dump. I seem to value those items more than if I had purchased some pristine something-or-other.

I am wondering what subtle changes Victor wrought on the VV-X between the 3000 serial numbers up to 15,000 (the donor machine is SN 12***). I know the donor cabinet has an "A" suffix, which indicates it has the tab brake as opposed to the bullet. We shall see!

Thanks all once again for the comments and encouragement.

~ CharlieP

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Whoo-boy! It's the old "be careful what you wish for," and "when it rains, it pours!" A fine collector and total gentleman on this forum, Victrola20, was kind enough to donate not one, but two very nice VV-X mahogany cabinets. So, it looks like, for the time being, the oak machine which one forum member said should be put out of its misery is going to be turned in to a mahogany one.

We are already having hot weather (perfect for the drought situation we're in again), but temps are supposed to moderate over the next few days, which will allow me to get to work on having one good, presentable, and functional Victrola out of the lot.

This is by way of an update, and stay tuned for the "reveal!"
Attachments
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG (98.62 KiB) Viewed 323 times

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

CharliePhono wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:55 pm Whoo-boy! It's the old "be careful what you wish for," and "when it rains, it pours!" A fine collector and total gentleman on this forum, Victrola20, was kind enough to donate not one, but two very nice VV-X mahogany cabinets. So, it looks like, for the time being, the oak machine which one forum member said should be put out of its misery is going to be turned in to a mahogany one.

We are already having hot weather (perfect for the drought situation we're in again), but temps are supposed to moderate over the next few days, which will allow me to get to work on having one good, presentable, and functional Victrola out of the lot.

This is by way of an update, and stay tuned for the "reveal!"
Now we’re talkin! 😎