Help With Lambert Concert Size Cylinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Help With Lambert Concert Size Cylinder

Post by FellowCollector »

Can anyone please help.
Is there such a thing as a concert size cylinder reamer? I have this Lambert that will not fit on any of my Concert/Grand cylinder phonograph mandrels. I can see where someone in the past has tried to carefully "whittle" the inside edge of the rim opposite the title end (ie. the end that slips on the mandrel first). But the celluloid has obviously shrunk since then. Any help with reaming the inside edge of the cylinder so that it will mount and rotate evenly on the mandrel would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has MADE a concert size reamer I would be happy to buy one as I have Concert/Grand size wax cylinders that are a tight fit on the mandrel!

Thanks, in advance.
Doug
Attachments
IMG_7018.JPG
IMG_7016.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Help With Lambert Concert Size Cylinder

Post by Curt A »

IDEA: Find a loose concert mandrel and fasten a handle to the end, add sandpaper strips and you have a reamer...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

If you have a machine that plays 5" cylinders, you need only attach some pieces of fine-grit sandpaper to the mandrel and you'll have a "reamer." Set the brake, and further steady the mandrel by placing your hand on the upper pulley. A very light touch is key - - both to prevent the cylinder from hanging up on the sandpaper, and to prevent removing too much material.

Good luck - -

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That's an easier idea, George...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Thanks ever so much for the excellent suggestions guys! I do have a few 5" cylinder phonographs and also a slip-on Columbia Grand cylinder mandrel for my Columbia AB. I had not thought of either of those ideas! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Doug