B Reproducer compatibility ?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pallophotophone
Victor II

B Reproducer compatibility ?

Post by pallophotophone »

I'd like to know if a B reproducer (not the Diamond B !) is compatible with the concert (5 inch) size cylinder. I have the early Edison Concert machine and know the B will fit in the carriage, but is the stylus geometry compatible from an angular point of view and tracking force ? I don't want to experiment to find out for myself.

Many Thanks !!

recordmaker
Victor I

Re: B Reproducer compatibility ?

Post by recordmaker »

B reproducer works fine on my 5 inch concert machine. I think they issued a small extra screw on weight with some B reproducers possibly originally for the concert machine where the record is generally louder than the standard records of the same era and the extra tracking weight improved the sound.
There are people more expert in these things from the historical point of view, but the B was a reproducer used in the period these machines were production taking over from the automatic.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

The model B reproducer is the only reproducer I use in my Edison Concert phonographs for my Edison Concert cylinders. It produces much better sound than an Automatic reproducer in my opinion.

Doug

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Early Concerts came with an Automatic up to 1902, after that the came with a Model-D. Later on Edison also offered a Midel-J for the Concert. But if you chose to use a Model-B it will work just fine.

Rich Gordon I

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

I appreciate all of your feedbacks about this. Like Doug, I never felt that I was getting the best quality sound with the Automatic despite it having been rebuilt and having a good stylus and diaphragm. But accepted it as being historically accurate anyway. Talk about conflict of interest.

Having just purchased Shawn's fine model B and knowing it is compatible generates much interest in hearing them again. But I will retain the original Automatic.

I do have a Model D that was reportedly rebuilt by a different ebay seller- and not a cheap purchase either- but the first time I tried to use it, the stylus stripped off a fine wax thread from the record.
Put it away out of frustration and never revisited. Had high hopes for it though. Cest La Vie....