Wayne MME phono show pics - 10-10-10

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Wayne MME phono show pics - 10-10-10

Post by Brad »

Good coverage of the show Dean. THanks for posting.

I ran into Eric (estott) and I thought I saw Aaron hanging around Hummels corner.

It was a pretty good show, not too crowded which makes it nice to shop. Still not much in the way of parts which I was looking for, but fun still the same. It seemed like there were a lot of cylinders at the show this time around.

The prices marked seemed high to me, but everyone was dealing.

All in all a good show. I now have to wait until April.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Drool, drool, envy, envy...

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Thank you so very much, phonophan76, for putting up such great, clear photos! I almost feel like I was there. To date I have *never* been to any of the major shows, always due to work or family obligations. But---thanks to your photos, I can be there in the "virtual" sense. In way, it's a blessing in disguise that I didn't go. It's easy to see that I could drop a hefty chunk of change with little effort at all!

I have to confess being very surprised that the Schoolhouse Victors are selling in the $2000 to $3500 range. I had been remembering them priced higher, but didn't realize that those prices had dropped. There has been one recently listed for sale on eBay that didn't sell for $2000, and now I think I understand why. I would love to own one some day. I prefer the straightforward simplicity of the entire machine, the convenient pull-out shelf in front, the lift-up shelf to store the horn when not in use, and the removable domed lid to keep the dust off the playing compartment. In fact, I'd prefer the Schoolhouse over the more highly sought-after Victor VI. Yeah, call me crazy---it wouldn't be the first time.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Looks like a great selection at the show. Thanks for posting the pics! :)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Starkton wrote:How much was the Bergmann tinfoil repro? And the crate for the Columbia toy phono?
I didn't ask the price of the repro Bergmann, but the Toy Graphophone box was $3700.00. That's three thousand seven hundred dollars... :shock: :cry:

George P.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Wow---I guess I read that post too fast the first time I saw it. That $3700 was for the empty box?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Well if the toy Graphophone box was 3700.00 at least it was label correct "no mechanism to get out of order"... :roll: :lol:.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Wowie... $3700, that's just crazy... and yes, it's just an empty box.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I agree that it's a lot of money but I really don't think it's hopelessly out of line considering how unbelievably rare it is, and the as-new condition. If I were fortunate enough to own a Columbia Toy, which is a very, very rare and expensive piece, a $3K or so box would probably add far more value to the set than the price of the individual elements. And the box is considerably rarer than the phonograph. What a display that would make.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Some years ago I was second bidder on a very nice coloured version of the Columbia toy crate. Winning bid was $1400.

By the way, it should be very easy to make counterfeits of the little box.