Edison C-1 Radio Cabinet (cabinet only)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zipotontic
Victor Jr

Edison C-1 Radio Cabinet (cabinet only)

Post by zipotontic »

Hello!
This is my first post here. Nice to meet you all. :-)

So, we have a Edison C-1 Radio Cabinet. It's the cabinet only, no radio 😭 My husband has had it for over 40 years so it's definitely in need of restoration but a nice sturdy cabinet. I know these are incredibly rare but also realize without the electronics it's probably not super valuable. We would like to sell it, maybe on eBay, but just don't know where to start our pricing. Wondering if anyone has any ideas how we would value it.

Thanks so much for any help! Take care. β™₯️
Susan

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Edison C-1 Radio Cabinet (cabinet only)

Post by ChuckA »

zipotontic wrote: ↑Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am Hello!
This is my first post here. Nice to meet you all. :-)

So, we have a Edison C-1 Radio Cabinet. It's the cabinet only, no radio 😭 My husband has had it for over 40 years so it's definitely in need of restoration but a nice sturdy cabinet. I know these are incredibly rare but also realize without the electronics it's probably not super valuable. We would like to sell it, maybe on eBay, but just don't know where to start our pricing. Wondering if anyone has any ideas how we would value it.

Thanks so much for any help! Take care. β™₯️
Susan
The C-1 is a radio/phono console, the R-1 is radio only.

This is what the C-1 looks like:
C-1 Closed.jpg
C-1 Open.jpg
Chuck

zipotontic
Victor Jr

Post by zipotontic »

Hey Chuck!

Thanks so much for the response. Yes, that is the cabinet we have. Sadly no radio or electronics...but still a cool cabinet! Any thoughts on where we could get some ideas on a good starting asking price?

Thanks!
Susan
Attachments
IMG_20200213_102915834.jpg

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Susan,

Is there anything left inside the cabinet? Shelves, grille, record drawers?
If it is completely gutted, maybe a couple hundred $.

There are only 7 complete ones known, one at Edison site, the other 6 in private collections. Yours would be
number 8. From the serial numbers of the existing units, probably around 200 were produced. The electronics were from a Splitdorf M6 radio only, similar cabinet.

The last almost complete one sold for around $3K, it was missing the turntable.

Chuck

zipotontic
Victor Jr

Post by zipotontic »

Hey Chuck!

Thank you for the help, really appreciate it!! Sounds like only someone very specific would be interested so I suppose an eBay auction is the way to go then. What a tragedy the phonograph and electrical are removed!

Here's a couple pictures of the inside of the cabinet for you to check out. As you can see the back is missing and I'm not sure if we have the shelves or not (I'll have to look) but most of the cabinet is still intact I think...?

Thanks again!
Susan

zipotontic
Victor Jr

Post by zipotontic »

Oops, pictures didn't go through I guess for some reason. Here you go. :-)

zipotontic
Victor Jr

Post by zipotontic »

Pictures πŸ™‚
Attachments
IMG_20200213_102710296.jpg
IMG_20200213_103128657.jpg
IMG_20200213_103033204.jpg

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Hi Susan,
I have the entire works from a C-2 and I believe that the turntable and tone arm are the same. What I do not know is if the radio from that unit will work and what other wood parts would need to be fabricated to make it work. In addition I do not know what type of speaker it used. The cabinet looks in pretty good overall condition, what shape are the doors in closed.
I just don't have enough information to be able top make a judgement call at this point but I know that others on the forum might be able to help.

While this might be a daunting project the rarity of the unit might make it worthwhile
What part of the U.S. are you located in ?

Abe

zipotontic
Victor Jr

Post by zipotontic »

Hey Abe!

I posted a picture of the front of the cabinet above. Here it is again.

It has never been restored so has the original finish but it's in pretty bad shape in some spots, the worst being on the top. It would really need professional restoration. But the wood is in good shape.

I'm in Seattle Washington.

πŸ™‚ Susan
Attachments
IMG_20200213_102915834.jpg

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

zipotontic wrote: ↑Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:49 pm Hey Abe!

I posted a picture of the front of the cabinet above. Here it is again.

It has never been restored so has the original finish but it's in pretty bad shape in some spots, the worst being on the top. It would really need professional restoration. But the wood is in good shape.

I'm in Seattle Washington.

πŸ™‚ Susan
Hello Susan,

Out of curiosity- what is the number that is stamped Β½ way from either end of the top board, on the back side of the top board? I think that's the serial number of the set.