Columbia Type N Survey

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Columbia Type N Survey

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I'm starting a survey on Columbia Type N Graphophones to see if any useful patterns can be determined.

If you have a Type N, either the regular home version or the scarcer coin-operated model, please let me know the serial number (either in this thread or by PM) and any pertinent details that come to mind. For example, early versions have the word "SWITCH" stamped into the on-off lever, but I don't yet know when this practice ended.

Your information will be kept private, but I will share any useful data information that may come from this study.

Thanks in advance!

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Type N Survey

Post by PeterF »

René, this is a fine idea.

Can you please consider putting out a list of questions for the owners to answer? I’m guessing that most N owners haven’t seen too many, and even fewer have seen them next to each other for immediate comparison.

I think it’s true, for example, that the cases are the same dimensions as the A, although with a different crank hole location on the side. So maybe you could ask for case dimensions, lid latch type, baseplate dimensions, etc. Another example would be to ask about the details of the decal, and any other ornamentation or labels.

But I personally don’t know what else I’m looking for, so I (and others, I’m sure) will need your guidance.

Thanks.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Interesting thoughts but I'm not sure what to ask about, other than the marking on the switch. From those I've owned and seen, I believe they all have the same case, same crank, same crank position, and same decal (Washington DC).

It's possible that reproducers were upgraded from gutta percha to aluminum during the time that these were made and sold, but there's really no way to know today whether the ones found now are original to a specific machine. So that's one detail which is unlikely to be resolved.

Since I don't know of specific details that are documented to differ as originally made, I am leaving the question open for anyone to comment if there is something that seems unique / special / curious / interesting on theirs.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Rene,

Do you want to include the Thornward model in your survey too? It has the top mech and carries the serial number of the Model N.

Chuck

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Absolutely -- I should have specified that.

For Thornward submissions, please indicate if it has the banner or rectangular decal.

Thanks!

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

I sold my Columbia N serial number 45126 in 2006 to Shawn ORourke. The banner label, woodwork, and bedplate all looked awful. I think Shawn may have used it for parts for his other machine. But then in 2009, I heard that Rob Mallett was the current owner. He had redone the nickel plating, and said he wanted to sell it because he already had another one.
If you click on the pics to enlarge, you can read the serial number.
Columbia N 45126 in 2006
Columbia N 45126 in 2006
Columbia N 45126 in 2009
Columbia N 45126 in 2009
Jim Nichol

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Here are a few of mine (of which you are already quite familiar Rene - I suspect I don't even need to give you two of the machines info):

Thorward SN#: 47437

N Coin-op SN#: 44616

N SN#: 43510
Attachments
DSC_1098.JPG

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me with data. I hope to get a lot more so please keep it coming. I only have 26 on file so far, not enough to draw meaningful conclusions.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Mine. Look carefully...

Hint: How appropriate it is that tomorrow is...Easter.
Attachments
F767E571-1C87-4ADA-9400-EEA298C3FFCE.jpeg
D7A0CA9E-E9E0-4750-9656-6B12A8C21690.jpeg
2209115C-82C1-4F93-8AFC-4B841E47D65E.jpeg

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Mine is serial number 42034. It has a plain on/off lever--no writing on it.

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA