HANDEL GRANDE LONG THROAT REPRODUCER IDENTIFICATION

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lampman5
Victor Jr
Personal Text: ID Required

HANDEL GRANDE LONG THROAT REPRODUCER IDENTIFICATION

Post by Lampman5 »

Hello Everyone

Purchased this reproducer many years ago and have been unable to find out any information on it. Similar size and construction to the Victor Exhibition reproducer but is marked Handel Grande which would lead me to believe it was European. Any ideas on the machine this came from or is it an aftermarket that could be adapted to several makes.

Thanks
Steve
Attachments
IMG_20210403_102000.jpg
IMG_20210403_102021.jpg
IMG_20210403_102040.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: HANDEL GRANDE LONG THROAT REPRODUCER IDENTIFICATION

Post by gramophoneshane »

I could be wrong, but i don't think this is a "long throat" type soundbox as used on early traveling arm gramophones, but is just a generic European non bayonet style that slid into the tonearm, rather than over the tonearm like a Victor Exhibition does.
The tube at the back is normally around ½"-¾" long, like the Paillard and Thorens soundboxes below.

What length is the tube on yours?
Attachments
IMG_20210404_033224~2.jpg

Lampman5
Victor Jr

Post by Lampman5 »

The tube is ¾ inches long on the reproducer.
Steve

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Gramophoneshane: I believe you are correct. I wrote the following long-winded dissertation before I noticed your response to the original post.

I don't believe these are long-neck reproducers made for early front-mount machines. In a different thread I posted a picture of a Thorens reproducer that I too called a long-neck reproducer. It was found on a small rear-mount machine made ca. 1929. Yes, the reproducer could be older than the machine, but I don't think so. In any case, the 1929 tone arm was made to accomodate this sort of soundbox long after the front-mount era.

Now it may be true these soundboxes can be used on period front-mount machines. I know, because I did just that; I inserted my Thorens soundbox into a Columbia front-mount machine and it worked just fine. However, this same soundbox has no locking pin that locks the needle into the correct angle to the platter. I don't see such a pin on your Handel Grande. Furthermore, at least on true long-neck reproducers--those made originally for a front-mount machine--the neck is longer than ¾-inches.

So, in short, and in my very humble opinion, what we have here is a Continental soundbox made for a rear-mount machine in which the soundbox simply friction fitted into the tonearm. BUT if you would like to use it on a front-mount machine, I believe you could just as I had with my Thorens "long-neck" reproducer. But I don't believe either your or my soundbox was made for an original front-mount machine.

Lampman5
Victor Jr

Post by Lampman5 »

Thanks Everyone

Steve