Sound Box Help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JOHNNYTREMPs
Victor Jr

Sound Box Help

Post by JOHNNYTREMPs »

Hi all! I recently inherited my grandmother's old Victrola, a VV-XVI. It has a victor improved concert head. The problem is, she also has mostly electrically recorded discs. From my research I have found that to get good sound you need a reproducer made for those discs. Here is where I need your help: what is the best reproducer I can get that is compatible with this victrola? What is my best course of action for buying one? Are they easy to replace?

Thanks so much for the help!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Sound Box Help

Post by Inigo »

I believe the Victor no4 is the thing to go for. I don't know if an hmv no4, very similar, would fit.
Your xvi carries a Victor Concert? That soundbox is earlier than that model, maybe someone substituted it, for I believe xvis always carried an exhibition reproducer, and later models, a Víctor no2.
Some photos of the machine and the reproducer would help. I'm not an expert in Victor machines, let's hope someone with more knowledge would jump in...
Inigo

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Victor, itself, sold the Victor #4 sound box as an upgrade component--circa late 1925/early 1926--for those who wanted to get more out of the then newly introduced electrical recordings without opting for an Orthophonic Victrola model. That would probably be the most authentic option if you can find one in good condition.

The early ones were all brass, but most found today were made of pot metal and have suffered the ravages of time--swelling, cracking, etc. as you can spot on the one for sale here -- https://www.phonographs.org/product/r-1 ... eproducer/

Here's an early brochure -- https://www.nipperhead.com/old/vic4sb.htm (Just click on the thumbnail images to make them full size for viewing/printing.)

The Gramophone Company offered an identical sound box used on many of its gramophones prior to their introduction of (their version of) the Orthophonic line.

Another option would be to find any of the generic type sound boxes used on portable models. These will normally fit an old style Victor tonearm.

As with any as-found sound box, an overhaul with fresh diaphragm gaskets, and a careful adjustment is normally required to get maximum performance.

HTH,
OrthoFan

JOHNNYTREMPs
Victor Jr

Post by JOHNNYTREMPs »

Inigo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:45 pm I believe the Victor no4 is the thing to go for. I don't know if an hmv no4, very similar, would fit.
Your xvi carries a Victor Concert? That soundbox is earlier than that model, maybe someone substituted it, for I believe xvis always carried an exhibition reproducer, and later models, a Víctor no2.
Some photos of the machine and the reproducer would help. I'm not an expert in Victor machines, let's hope someone with more knowledge would jump in...
Here's two attached images. Sadly, I don't know the history of this machine, only that it was bought used by my grandparents.
Attachments
IMG_1279[1].JPG
IMG_1282[1].JPG

JOHNNYTREMPs
Victor Jr

Post by JOHNNYTREMPs »

OrthoFan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:51 pm Victor, itself, sold the Victor #4 sound box as an upgrade component--circa late 1925/early 1926--for those who wanted to get more out of the then newly introduced electrical recordings without opting for an Orthophonic Victrola model. That would probably be the most authentic option if you can find one in good condition.

The early ones were all brass, but most found today were made of pot metal and have suffered the ravages of time--swelling, cracking, etc. as you can spot on the one for sale here -- https://www.phonographs.org/product/r-1 ... eproducer/

Here's an early brochure -- https://www.nipperhead.com/old/vic4sb.htm (Just click on the thumbnail images to make them full size for viewing/printing.)

The Gramophone Company offered an identical sound box used on many of its gramophones prior to their introduction of (their version of) the Orthophonic line.

Another option would be to find any of the generic type sound boxes used on portable models. These will normally fit an old style Victor tonearm.

As with any as-found sound box, an overhaul with fresh diaphragm gaskets, and a careful adjustment is normally required to get maximum performance.

HTH,
OrthoFan
Yes, the number 4 seems like the option for me. Where would I buy one? Should I just keep an eye out on ebay?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I have a nice #4 for you, if you’re interested. Please see the PM I just sent you.

Peter

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

That is the later concert sound box, Improved as noted.

Would be appropriate accessory for an early Victrola XVI.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree that the Improved Concert is correct for your Victrola and quite desirable. If it were mine I would keep it with the machine even if you get a gold #4.

Jerry B.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Inigo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:45 pm

According to an original Victor machine catalog (dated 8/13/12) I have, customers had their choice of either the Improved Concert or the Exhibition reproducer on all machines offered at the time (except the Victor Junior). A slightly later, nearly identical, facsimile catalog (dated 7/16/13) shows all machines (except the Victor Junior) offered with only the Exhibition.

According to Baumbach's Victor Data Book, the VV-XVI type E shipped between 8/28/12 and 11/17/15, with serial numbers ranging between 60727 and 84608. It is certainly possible the OP's machine was originally equipped with the Improved Concert reproducer shown.
Attachments
4682CDB9-531F-4235-B562-E91A670BE1CC.jpeg
82C31974-5ADB-4F3E-9CB4-87C8CCCD3000.jpeg

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

I purchased a complete motor (on motor board) with all hardware and Concert reproducer from a kid that was left his uncle's XVI (not an L-Door) and was going to put his new music apparatus in it. I had to beg him not to do it and to keep the original stuff in case he changed his mind in the future and wanted to bring it back to original ---Really beautiful original XVI. But he said NO, going to sell it and so I purchased it for an empty cabinet I have. So, yes some were sold---maybe like that from the factory or by a dealer?