Is it possible to ship an Amberola V ?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pete Stratford
Victor II

Is it possible to ship an Amberola V ?

Post by Pete Stratford »

I have an oak Amberola V that I am thinking of selling. The problem would be shipped. Is it possible to ship a machine this size just as is I a large box?

Thanks
Pete
Attachments
A7709574-D085-4942-B46F-6D6F38611DD7.jpeg
B1DCAA41-5173-4719-B55B-3A1019A6D312.jpeg

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Is it possible to ship an Amberola V ?

Post by barnettrp21122 »

It's possible.
I had an oak Amberola V shipped from Nebraska to Maryland about 10 years ago via Ebay and it arrived in good condition.
It's most important to secure all moving parts above the bedplate and pack the 6-column wooden grill separately. This grill is unique (I believe) to the Five, though others will fit.
I'd double-box it with at least one-inch foam panel insulation pieces all around: sides, top, bottom.
I'd also recommend investigating alternative delivery options that would be kinder to these big heavy cartons.
Good luck whatever happens!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

^^ What Bob says. ^^ Shipping the mechanism and the wood case together will result in the heavy casting beating the wood parts to splinters. It would be best to ship the wood case and fragile parts (like crank & reproducer) separately. I know they shipped the machines together back in the day, but unless you can recreate the crating and blocking, you're still far better off shipping two packages. When you pack, imagine that it will be thrown across a room about 7 or 8 feet and will fall on a cement floor - because it will.

Good luck.

Martin

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

One more thing I'll add since I think the OP in in Canada: be aware of size limitations on international packages. Not just weight, but dimensions. A box that is "too large" in any dimension or overall girth won't be accepted. Be sure to check this with your carrier before even considering packing up something this size.