Accidental Restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Accidental Restoration

Post by Zeppy »

So I purchased the case below only for the dataplate. I no intentions to do anything with the case. But........
Attachments
Victor E.jpeg

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Accidental Restoration

Post by Zeppy »

SO this was never intended to be a serious restoration. I picked up the case for dataplate, but one day got bored and started playing with some extra shellac I had mixed up....then someone on this board was selling the corner columns...so I figured, I'd just grab them....then there was a motor and ebay that I got relatively cheap....and I had the funky homemade tone arm support made out of wood....and the horn was just lying around, and next thing I know, I have this on my hands. I still might clean things up a little bit, but I suppose this is my covid boredom project.
Attachments
20210411_184131.jpg
20210411_184051.jpg

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Are you kidding ?-That's Spectacular !! There is no doubt you did the correct thing !! Congratulations On a Job Well Done !

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Great job. The wooden tone arm support looks awesome. Can you post more pictures of it? It had to be pretty difficult to make out of wood.
Ken

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That looks great... If you want to age the record hold down, just get some Birchwood Casey Super Blue liquid cold gun bluing and wipe it on with a clean cloth or paper towel, followed by oiling it when it gets to the color you like... It will darken the metal to a nice aged appearance.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIRCHWOOD-CA ... Z/23237765

Great looking project and accomplishment to bring it back from miscellaneous parts.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Great looking and a lot of work put into it. I am waiting for your next I had no intentions project. Tom

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Magnificent! Congratulations on your superb accomplishment!

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

great save.. and super job, congrats.

blizz

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Really impressive!

The shape of the horn support is so good that at first you would assume it was a brown rusted steel original. :o

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Thanks all for the kind words.....I just have problems parting machines out (happened before with a Victor P-3 I picked up only for the brake). I'll post some more pictures of the tone arm support....I can't remember where I picked it up, and the person who sold it didn't know it provenance. It's actually nicely constructed....and this restoration gave me an excuse to use it.