Cylinder Cabinet identification?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Cylinder Cabinet identification?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok folks, here’s a photo of a cylinder cabinet and the lot of cylinders I’m planning to buy in the future and I’m just curious of the make. That’s all. I’m not too inclined with these cabinets because I’ve never come across any locally.
Attachments
D22AC1FA-4B62-4AC4-B521-32D74E9AB7E1.jpeg
658F8F82-E3D7-4C76-A2B2-81A39596E580.jpeg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Cylinder Cabinet identification?

Post by gramophoneshane »

Are you sure it's actually a cylinder cabinet?
Unless those cylinders in the top drawer stand up, then I'd say it's not.
An original cabinet would never have been made with records laying down as they are.
If it is a record cabinet then I'd say an Amberola 30 or similar machine would look pretty good on such a cabinet.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophoneshane wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:27 pm Are you sure it's actually a cylinder cabinet?
Unless those cylinders in the top drawer stand up, then I'd say it's not.
An original cabinet would never have been made with records laying down as they are.
If it is a record cabinet then I'd say an Amberola 30 or similar machine would look pretty good on such a cabinet.
Honestly I don’t know. I’ll have to look at it in person before I can determine it. As I said, I’m not very inclined with these because I NEVER encountered one in person lol. (sheet music cabinets on the other hand...)

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Here is a phonograph cabinet from my collection which looks very similar to one you are looking at. It has clips in the bottom of each of the three drawers designed to r to hold cylinders and their boxes in place.

I have an Amberola 30 on it but a 50 would fit as well.
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0506.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Bruce

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Bruce wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 am Here is a phonograph cabinet from my collection which looks very similar to one you are looking at. It has clips in the bottom of each of the three drawers designed to r to hold cylinders and their boxes in place.

I have an Amberola 30 on it but a 50 would fit as well.IMG_0507.jpgIMG_0506.jpg

Bruce
That is quite similar...maybe the seller just has the records on their side on the top?

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

If you decide against that one (say, because of the top slider) but still want cylinder storage, you could also do what I did: buy an Amberola 75. I didn't really need the machine, but I thought of it as a cylinder cabinet that could also play records--and in the event, I find myself playing the thing a lot more than I thought I would when I bought it. Without doubt, it has the quietest motor of any cylinder player I've ever owned.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

drh wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 am If you decide against that one (say, because of the top slider) but still want cylinder storage, you could also do what I did: buy an Amberola 75. I didn't really need the machine, but I thought of it as a cylinder cabinet that could also play records--and in the event, I find myself playing the thing a lot more than I thought I would when I bought it. Without doubt, it has the quietest motor of any cylinder player I've ever owned.
Would love a 75! The only other Amberolas I’ve came across in person was another 30 earlier than mine with the pin striping. I didn’t buy it because I’d rather have an upgrade than the same machine again. Same goes to the fixer upper 30 Jerry showed me last year.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

They made sheet music/cylinder cabinet combos didn’t they?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

UPDATE 6/11/21; With the help of our friend Jerry B. I was able to FINALLY purchase a cylinder cabinet from Craigslist! Now this one is the type where the drawers pull out and tips diagonally for easy record access. I’m not sure who made it but I am very happy to FINALLY have a proper place for my cylinders!!
Attachments
20AE1648-E0BC-410B-9B00-87A26F7E9DCD.jpeg
52AF278A-5AF0-4B85-990C-4845747BCCB0.jpeg

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Bruce wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 am Here is a phonograph cabinet from my collection which looks very similar to one you are looking at. It has clips in the bottom of each of the three drawers designed to r to hold cylinders and their boxes in place.

I have an Amberola 30 on it but a 50 would fit as well.IMG_0507.jpgIMG_0506.jpg

Bruce
That’s not an Amberola 30, FYI. Look at the data plate.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan