Columbia external horn model?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

Re: Columbia external horn model?

Post by JohnM »

Too much. That’s a $600 machine on the best day.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JohnM wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:40 am Too much. That’s a $600 machine on the best day.
Agreed. Maybe $700 if you just have to have it...

Ho_Hum
Victor O
Personal Text: College is hard :(

Post by Ho_Hum »

I’m doubtful he’d go that low. Oh well.
they/them

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

Others may disagree but I'd say it's worth half that amount.

Sorry didn't see second page - so as others have said $6-700.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

$1400 is too much in my opinion.

Jerry B.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

One of my favorite Columbia table model machines! Great playing and sounding machine. A simple machine but a good performer. It was one of the first outside horn Columbia machines I acquired when I was in my teens. The one you are showing looks to be in very fine original condition. If you like it and can afford it, make the guy a reasonable offer. You gotta ask yourself, is this a hobby? or an investment strategy? Just remember, the guy you would buy this from probably has an overhead to pay out every month so he has to try to get more than what you would pay at a flea market or from an individual. This is a relatively inexpensive hobby compared to other forms of recreation. Go buy a boat or do some world traveling and see what those recreational activities cost. When you come to a forum like this and ask what something is worth it can be very subjective depending on the situation at hand.

Ho_Hum
Victor O

Post by Ho_Hum »

edisonclassm wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:21 pm One of my favorite Columbia table model machines! Great playing and sounding machine. A simple machine but a good performer. It was one of the first outside horn Columbia machines I acquired when I was in my teens. The one you are showing looks to be in very fine original condition. If you like it and can afford it, make the guy a reasonable offer. You gotta ask yourself, is this a hobby? or an investment strategy? Just remember, the guy you would buy this from probably has an overhead to pay out every month so he has to try to get more than what you would pay at a flea market or from an individual. This is a relatively inexpensive hobby compared to other forms of recreation. Go buy a boat or do some world traveling and see what those recreational activities cost. When you come to a forum like this and ask what something is worth it can be very subjective depending on the situation at hand.
I am not new to the hobby, I have quite a few machines now, I was just curious about this particular one since I am inexperienced with external horn machines, especially Columbia ones. I know the seller personally, we have done a lot of business before, so I am not judging him for his choice of price. I understand why he would price it so high but I personally wouldn’t pay that much.
they/them

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

If I were you, I'd be patient and wait to see if he'd drop the price after he has had it for a while with no takers. If he does get a byer that is willing to pay his price, then you can take solace in the fact that it just wasn't meant to be.

That is how I've justified not paying too much for something that will likely come around again. Or you will find another, better machine, for a better price. It has worked out well for me that way several times.

Best of luck in your searches !

Ho_Hum
Victor O

Post by Ho_Hum »

pallophotophone wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm If I were you, I'd be patient and wait to see if he'd drop the price after he has had it for a while with no takers. If he does get a byer that is willing to pay his price, then you can take solace in the fact that it just wasn't meant to be.

That is how I've justified not paying too much for something that will likely come around again. Or you will find another, better machine, for a better price. It has worked out well for me that way several times.

Best of luck in your searches !
I am actually looking at a very enticing machine I just discovered on facebook marketplace, so I am not too heartbroken!
they/them