Assistance with an Early VV-XI Restoratoin

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Assistance with an Early VV-XI Restoratoin

Post by Zeppy »

mattrx wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 pm I hope these pics of my tabletop XI might help. Any measurements you need, I’ll provide. My motor board does not appear to be stepped. Serial number 6520. Correct motor board hold down knobs fabricated by a forum member from the ones on my XVII.

I’m pretty sure I have a gold key escutcheon as well.

Matt
Who fabricated the motor board hold down knobs? My XII has the same knobs, and I figured I'd be looking for a very long time for a set (and pay through the nose for them as well).

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

So, you are saying that the XI uses the same motorboard screws as the early XII? If so, I need one for my XII and four for my XI.

Jim

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Zeppy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:21 pm
mattrx wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 pm I hope these pics of my tabletop XI might help. Any measurements you need, I’ll provide. My motor board does not appear to be stepped. Serial number 6520. Correct motor board hold down knobs fabricated by a forum member from the ones on my XVII.

I’m pretty sure I have a gold key escutcheon as well.

Matt
Who fabricated the motor board hold down knobs? My XII has the same knobs, and I figured I'd be looking for a very long time for a set (and pay through the nose for them as well).
PM sent.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

As an aid in locating parts I am happy to check the parts listing to see if any other machines share parts with your first model XI. You were very fortunate to find a matching motor board!

Mark

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

MarkELynch wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:45 pm As an aid in locating parts I am happy to check the parts listing to see if any other machines share parts with your first model XI. You were very fortunate to find a matching motor board!

Mark
I still would like to find an original oak motor board (although my dad loves the wood working projects). Other than that, the parts left are the 4 motorboard screws, and the backbracket for the tone arm. Not bad for something that has just been sitting in a corner of my basement for a half dozen years.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

The earliest motorboard has a rabbited edge. Matt’s XI is a type A, not the type M that you need, the measurements are different. The change occurred at serial number 5918.
Review the motor board dimensions I posted in the first reply or ask for Jim’s help in measuring his original example.

The gold plated motor board knob, p/n 1461GP was used on almost every Victrola with gold plated hardware up until the Orthophonic era from the XI through the 410. You should have no trouble finding this part.

The taper tube support, p/n 1416BE&G was used only on the early XI, XII and XIV, that will be a bit harder.

The motor board bolts p/n 3190AGP were only used on your XI and the XII, the bolts are gold plated, are ⅞” long overall, and have a special knurled head.

Mark

Duchesne
Victor O

Post by Duchesne »

phonojim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:42 pm Nice looking cabinet. I bought mine out of a dirt floored garage at an estate sale. It was totally filthy, the veneer on the front doors was loose but intact and there was an unappealing odor to the entire machine. However it was completely intact so I made a deal and bought it figuring that the parts value would be much higher than what I paid for the machine. When I went to work on it I found that the cabinet to be structurally sound in spite of the veneer on the back being mostly gone because of water damage. That being the case, I went ahead with cleaning and polishing and it became a nice addition to my collection although I still need to replace the veneer on the rear of the cabinet. If you do get to this project, feel free to contact me and I will provide whatever details you need in order to complete your motorboard.

Jim
It's nice to read these boards again.

I too had an odour from my VV-IX; mice I think. A friend in the piano restoration business mentioned baking soda. I put the cabinet and wood parts into a garbage bag and emptied several boxes of baking soda over the wood and closed the bag and kept it safe in a cool dry location for 6 months. Smelled like an antique lacquered wood cabinet after that.