Assistance with an Early VV-XI Restoratoin

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Assistance with an Early VV-XI Restoratoin

Post by Zeppy »

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had an early Victor Victrola XI that could share some measurements and pictures. I purchased the empty case of a very early VV XI (Serial Number 1048) in what looks like fumed oak (or some dark finish of oak). It sat on a shelf for years because it was missing the internal horn, and I never thought I would find one. Well I did find one, albeit, the wooden section of the horn is probably not matching, but probably as good as I'm ever going to get.

All that said, one of the needs on the XI is a motor board, which I assume I need to build from scratch,(I doubt I'll find a matching one in my lifetime). I was hoping someone would be so kind as to share measurements and pictures and of both sides of the motor board, as well as confirm the motor that was used.

Thanks all, your help is always appreciated.

JP

MarkELynch
Victor II

Re: Assistance with an Early VV-XI Restoratoin

Post by MarkELynch »

Hello JP,

You have the earliest VV-XI, the gold plated tabletop model and a very low serial number. According to expert Bob Baumbach it was made just a little over a year with the last of about 5500 units being shipped in December of 1911. With such a low production and because low end products are usually not well cared for and are discarded when they have served their purpose the chances of finding the exact motor board are possible but slim. Also, your version of the XI has a unique motor board only used on that production run and not shared with other Victrola models. Here are the dimensions of the motor board as listed by Victor. You may be able to fabricate a new one or modify an existing motor board from a different Victrola. The different dimensions on the top and bottom sides of the motor board are because the edges are rabbited.

I hope this helps with your project.
AD028DF2-6BA3-4790-9CA7-C6CD3564930A.jpeg
Mark
Silver Spring, MD
Last edited by MarkELynch on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Could we see?

I also sent you a PM with some more details.

Greg

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I have one, also in dark oak. I will attempt to get info and pictures posted later today.

Jim

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Here are 3 views of the motor board. The motorboard is stepped so that it sits down into the framework with its upper surface above the framework. The third photo shows the edge of the motorboard. The motor is similar to that found on a Vic III or IV but the spindle is shorter because it mounts to the metal plate rather than to a wood top board. I hope the pics help. I will take some measurements for you and try to post them tomorrow. If you have any questions or need a photo from a certain angle, feel free to PM or email me for further info.

Jim
Attachments
P4260168.JPG
P4260158.JPG
P4260171.JPG

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I'm pretty sure I have the right motor, and have a similar motor board that I can salvage the round metal plate from (and if any of you recall, I had my retired, woodworking hobbyist dad build an oak motor board for my VTLA. This is the guy I'm working on. Probably not worth the effort I'm putting into it, but that seems to be the story of my collecting habit (I think only the VTLA and the Vic 6 have been worth the money I put into my restoration). Thanks for all the help guys. It's much appreciated, and if I ever get around to finishing it (I still have a VV-XII and a Vic D I'm working on as well...at least those I have all the parts to).
Attachments
20210428_102027.jpg
20210428_102017.jpg
20210428_102010.jpg
20210428_101959.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That dark oak case looks very nice! I agree that this is worth restoring even if not for monetary gain. Good luck with your projects! I'd love to have a XII and/or a Victor D to work on 8-)

Andreas

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Nice looking cabinet. I bought mine out of a dirt floored garage at an estate sale. It was totally filthy, the veneer on the front doors was loose but intact and there was an unappealing odor to the entire machine. However it was completely intact so I made a deal and bought it figuring that the parts value would be much higher than what I paid for the machine. When I went to work on it I found that the cabinet to be structurally sound in spite of the veneer on the back being mostly gone because of water damage. That being the case, I went ahead with cleaning and polishing and it became a nice addition to my collection although I still need to replace the veneer on the rear of the cabinet. If you do get to this project, feel free to contact me and I will provide whatever details you need in order to complete your motorboard.

Jim

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

I hope these pics of my tabletop XI might help. Any measurements you need, I’ll provide. My motor board does not appear to be stepped. Serial number 6520. Correct motor board hold down knobs fabricated by a forum member from the ones on my XVII.

I’m pretty sure I have a gold key escutcheon as well.

Matt
Attachments
55A381C5-9E24-4A01-92DC-EA761240A941.jpeg
6EB8D91D-EF05-46EC-A04F-6C76CCF194BF.jpeg
6BEA1C9A-FF42-4BCB-98D3-3FBCDE65B625.jpeg
8E204876-9AB7-45AD-89E7-76CFD3E88CAB.jpeg

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

mattrx wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 pm I hope these pics of my tabletop XI might help. Any measurements you need, I’ll provide. My motor board does not appear to be stepped. Serial number 6520. Correct motor board hold down knobs fabricated by a forum member from the ones on my XVII.

I’m pretty sure I have a gold key escutcheon as well.

Matt
Who fabricated the motor board hold down knobs? My XII has the same knobs, and I figured I'd be looking for a very long time for a set (and pay through the nose for them as well).